Chapter 58

'This must be the lowest he carries.'

I took it, stepped forward, and put the bill in the clown's hat.

Then the clown started juggling in circles around me, and the guy behind me on the violin played even more enthusiastically, which really made me feel embarrassed.

It was probably the most money they'd ever gotten for their talents.

I stiffened my shoulders and looked back at Killian, who was smiling weakly at me.

He must have thought it was funny to see me so stiff and rigid, clutching a bouquet of flowers in one hand and candy in the other for fear of ruining the clown's juggling act.

"Now let go of my wife."

Killian said with a chuckle, and the clown backed away with a series of thank-yous, and I managed to get back to Killian's side.

People around us continued to stare in our direction, seemingly surprised by his appearance.

I was strangely tickled by his referring to me as "my wife," so I couldn't help but smile.

Why do good times go by so quickly?

Our evening melted away as quickly as fifty sennas street candy, leaving behind a sweet aftertaste and the smell of fresh wildflowers.

"You don't believe me, so you're not going to believe this, but I had a great time today, thank you."

At the door to my room, I looked back at Killian and waved goodbye.

"It wasn't a great outing, was it?"

"Everything was a first for me. It was great."

"Is that so......?"

I nodded.

I couldn't remember the last time I'd felt this happy. Maybe, maybe I never had one.

But I couldn't think of anything more to say than that.

It would be rude to hold on to him too long.

"Then...... good night."

Killian gave me a small nod, and I gave him one last smile before closing the door behind me.

A sigh escaped me as the door closed between him and me.

'You know, this is only going to make me greedy......'

One of my first resolutions after getting married got shaken.

I still have that piece of paper in my desk drawer where I circled "Be grateful for what you have" over and over again.......

***

Edith closed the door without looking back at Killian, so she didn't see him raise his hand afterward, but Killian didn't knock on it again to call her.

'What am I doing?'

Clenching and unclenching his hand, which he raised and lowered again, Killian slowly walked toward his room.

Everything he'd done with Edith today had been a first for her, and a new experience for him.

Starting with the opera, Odelette, which he'd picked in the hopes that it would be an uneventful date.

It's a famous opera, and Killian has seen it many times.

The only difference was that the lead soprano in today's opera was a particularly famous singer, so it was going to be the same old experience for Killian. If only Edith hadn't been there with him.