Chapter 4

"Our family's maids are quite skilled even by Miss Edith's standards."

"Did Duchess Ludwig not bring a single maid with her when she married?"

"Well......"

In many ways, the conversation was in Count Riegelhoff's favor. It would have allowed him to bring Sophia in with Edith.

Count Riegelhoff looked at me again, this time with a kind and affectionate look on his face, as if to conclude the negotiation.

"My dear Edith, Duke Ludwig is unwilling to allow you to bring a few maids with you; I don't know what to do."

I felt a chill run down my spine at the thought of bursting into tears at any moment, but I had to keep my wits about me. My decision here would determine my life.

"I'm fine...... I don't need to bring a maid."

"Huh......? E- Edith......?"

"After all, the Ludwig family's maids are only as good as ours, and I don't want any maids to leave our mansion because of me, so you don't have to think about sending me a maid, Father."

The Duke and his two sons were watching me with sharp eyes. They seemed to think I was going to cushion myself and then demand other terms.

But I am innocent, gentlemen!

"Please forget my father's request, Your Excellency. My father is too anxious to give me away in marriage when I am still so young."

"No, well......"

The Duke of Ludwig sounds like he's in trouble. I can't be weak-hearted here!

"As the daughter-in-law of the Ludwig family, I don't want to be seen as a spoiled lady. I'll come alone, and I'm sure the Duchess will have a good maid for me."

I forced myself to smile as benignly as I could.

The corners of Edith's eyes were slightly upturned, making it difficult for me to put on an innocent face.

The Duke and Duchess nodded their heads in agreement, albeit with a hint of irritation, and Count Riegelhoff's face hardened.

As soon as we were in the carriage and out of the mansion gate, Count Riegelhoff burst out. "Are you out of your mind?!"

I was afraid he would slap me, but I'm glad he didn't. From now on, I have to act with all my might.

"Father, didn't you see the look on Duke Ludwig's face earlier?"

"......what?"

"He had already realized what you meant when you said you wanted to send the maids along. What could I do if you made such a blatant demand?"

Count Riegelhoff's eyelids trembled at my words.

It must have been strange to hear his daughter, who was always so good at doing what he told her to do, stand up and say something out of left field.

But I couldn't back down now.

"What's the point of bringing a maid in if you've already aroused suspicion? There will be more prying eyes around, and that's why I'd rather not have one, Father."

"That's......!"

"Have you forgotten what the primary purpose of this marriage was? It was to dispel their suspicions. First, we must blunt the blade of vigilance they have set upon us."

Well, that's what you get when you're a marketing department staff speaker on the Korean peninsula who's been practicing presentation skills since college!