Chapter 165 ~ Private Audience

AN: Just started my internships and uhm... it's going to need some getting used to, to say the least... It's 8-5 and it's an hour away from my home, and though I'll wfo and wfh interchangeably every week, it'll still be tough. Pray for me T_T

A pure white carriage trod upon the streets of the Arcadia, the royal capital of Arcland, heading towards the royal palace.

Many knights in shining mithril armor atop white horses and heavily armored knights with tower shields trod in a formation with the carriage in its center. Two knights held the flag of their country high.

Though a rare sight, many of the citizens in the streets recognized the flag which had a depiction of the Goddess holding the world in her hands lovingly with the Sun behind her. It was the flag of the Holy Country of Celestine, a country southeast of Arcland. It was a fairly small country when compared to Arcland or Bestia, but it was a very populous and prosperous one. And as its name suggests, the Church held great influence in the country and most, if not, all of its citizens worship the Goddess of the world, Celestine, greatly. It was a very peaceful and religious country.

The Holy Country of Celestine were known to be self-sufficient, and though they had friendly relationships with Arcland, Bestia, and other of their neighboring countries, there were not many interactions between them. Thus, seeing what seemed to be an emissary from the Holy Country would attract the attention of many.

"...My Saintess, please do not pout. It is an act unbecoming of a lady."

"But I've promised to immediately visit Leon this morning..."

"Before we visit anyone, we must pay our respects to the royalties of Arcland and convey our gratitude to them for granting us the permission to visit their kingdom, despite the very short notice. Honestly, it is a miracle that we were able to receive such a quick permission. I was prepared to at least spend a week outside of Arcland while we wait for our request to be granted."

"I understand that but... Hah, I'm sorry, Euphie. I was just disappointed that I couldn't go to him sooner. I really want to find the answers as to why he was in my dreams and the reason behind the "divine phenomenon" we felt weeks before, and he seemed to have the answers to both."

"There is no need for you to apologize, my Saintess. I understand. But as we are in public, please remember to call me "Euphemia" and not with the nickname you gave me."

"I understand. But since we're not yet there, I'll call you Euphie~"

"...As you wish."

Jeanne smiled brightly as she looked at the blushing light-golden haired female knight before her.

Ever since they were young, Euphemia vi Hildegard rarely displayed her expressions and emotions. To maintain the impression of a strong, impenetrable shield that protects the Holy Saintess and a blade that cuts all that seeks to harm her, she must not show weakness and uphold the dignity and strength of being the Holy Saintess's personal guard and daughter of a high archbishop. And because of her serious disposition, she would still keep that strong front even when they were alone, never relaxing even for a moment.

Jeanne knew that behind the powerful and chivalrous "Claiomh Solais" was just a beautiful, kind girl her age, her precious childhood and best friend. All this time, she had been carrying all the heavy expectations and burden of being a daughter of a high archbishop on those lithe body of hers without a word of complaint or dissatisfaction. She was a very strong girl. But, at least when she's with her, Jeanne wants her to simply be "Euphie" and help her relax, even for a moment.