Chapter 169 ~ Letter of Emergency

AN: Let's do our best this week as well! Hope you guys have a great day and week ahead of you!!!!!!

A little less than a week has passed ever since Jeanne's first visit to the Misteltein household.

Jeanne has been visiting the Misteltein mansion quite often, and while she was there, the Holy Knights and Paladins would disguise themselves as regular foreigners to investigate and gather information about the dark monsters in the city and adventurer's guild.

This was a decision Euphemia and Gilbert came to after hearing Jeanne's wishes. Since they couldn't very well leave the holy saintess alone in their accommodation while they ventured into the city, they had to leave her in a highly-secured place with people they could trust. And the most secure place accessible to them that they could think of was the Misteltein mansion.

Fortunately, Leon and the others welcomed her visit with wide arms. It was the best, possible outcome for them.

Today, Jeanne will be going with Crimson Lightning on an outing to the castle city. Though she had seen a part of the city when she was los-... venturing alone the night she met Leon and the others, it was only a few blocks away from the inn she's accommodating now. So she was looking forward to this outing very much.

Because of this, Euphemia will also be accompanying her as her personal bodyguard. There wasn't a doubt in anyone's mind that Jeanne would be the safest when she's with Crimson Lightning. However, it is part of the regulation for the holy saintess to be accompanied by at least 1 guard whenever she goes out of a safe premise.

Everyone was in their casual clothes besides Euphemia, who still wore her leather armor, shoulder and arm guards, and her greaves. She insisted on wearing her full-plate armor since she was technically on-duty to protect the saintess, but after Jeanne's pleading, she relented and wore the minimal amount of equipment.

Once everyone was ready, they headed out on Crimson Lightning's carriages. The plan for the day was to head to the city in carriages and then go on foot to explore the shops and tourist spots. That way, they could simply call on the carriage if they wanted to go somewhere farther.

Since they will be going on foot, Leon had already distributed his "Necklace of False Appearance" to everyone, including Jeanne and Euphemia. He explained how to use it and its effect on the two and they were absolutely shocked. Jeanne couldn't help but be amazed and looked at Leon with sparkling eyes full of admiration and wonder, while Euphemia looked at Leon with an incredulous gaze. It was as if she's looking at something strange that shouldn't have existed, and that gaze only intensified when she found out Leon made it himself.

Jeanne and Euphemia sat in the first carriage along with Leon, Lily, and Charlotte, while Freya, Vyra, Mia, Rafael, and Alex sat on the other. As usual, Charlotte had claimed her rightful seat on top of Leon's lap as he fed her cookies, while Lily chatted with Jeanne and Euphemia.

"Hehe~ You seem so excited, Jeanne."

"Yes! This will be my first time going around a city in another kingdom!"

"I see. We'll make sure to guide you to various places! There are a lot of delicious pastry and cake shops, boutiques, and tourist spots that I'm sure you'll enjoy! Which one would you like to visit first?"

"Thank you very much! T-Then, can we visit a pastry shop first?"

Watching Charlotte eating the cookies Leon fed to her made her want to eat some sweets as well, especially since the cookies smelled so delicious.