One Hundred Twenty |

The room was quiet enough; Izzak and Barron had a moment to themselves in their bedroom, and I was left alone to a room full of dogs. I watched the flames of the fire devour log after log and I thought to Sonar. I couldn't help but feel guilty and yet I know he would accept my decision to not kill Barron. It was hard, and I didn't trust the man but I could understand his shift. After all, I had been the same hadn't I?

I sighed, standing up slowly—not to upset any of the scary pups, as I did however, Barron and Izzak returned. They looked over at me, and Izzak smiled. His eyes were puffy from crying but I could see the gloss of love in his eyes and it made me miss Sebastian.

"I have to go," my words slipped out, "I-I need to get back to the isle. The war is coming and I need to be there as soon as possible and we're far away. I think Jessica made it to the mountain men? I don't know, she threw me off a cliff near the glowing mushroom cave?"

"Yes, that would be the route to the mountain men," Izzak chuckled then paused, "I'm sorry, did you say your friend threw you off a cliff?"

I grumbled, "She's no friend clearly."

"That's always the problem with friends isn't it?" Barron hummed, sitting on the couch, "They will always betray you for something worth more than your life, whether it be safety, wealth or freedom, they will always stab you in the back."

My eyes flickered over to him, "And yet here you are with a new friend."

"That's different," he scoffed, "Love is a toxin—once you're infected you cannot harm the one you love, and the same for them rings true. I trust Izzak because I know his love for me blinds all other rational reason he could have. He knows I've killed many innocent people, and yet he cannot leave me because he loves me."

I said nothing, for a moment wondering how he could fall in love and still have such terrible views on love. I looked over to Izzak who seemed to be packing a backpack of stuff, and slowly, my eyes slid back over to Barron. Those almond shaped eyes watching me carefully.

"What?" I demanded.

He smirked, "Are you sure you're not going to kill me?"

"No, I'm not," it came out an annoyed grunt, "Not yet anyways."

"Why?"

My eyes rolled, "I told you—"

"—Yes, because of love, whatever. Why aren't you really getting revenge?" he snapped.

Again, there was nothing I could say.

"Well," Izzak hummed, "Your bags are packed, and you're ready for your adventure!"

I blinked, "What is going on here?"

"You said you want back to the isle? I'm going to take you up the dam," Barron said.

"The fuck you are—isn't that place infested by zombies? And you want to take me back to the isle alone? I may have not seen Jessica's betrayal coming but I sure as fuck see yours," I snapped, "I'll take the long way back."

"Aren't you immune?" he snapped back, "Can you just relax? I can't be on the winning side, so I'm trying to help us not get on the losing side. You need to be back to the war zone as soon as possible if that stupid island has any chance."

I sent him a glare but he was right.

"And you know the way?" I demanded, "and you're not going to fuck me over?"

His eyes rolled, "I promise I won't fuck you over."

I didn't move, my gaze on him sharp as knives, "If you do, I will kill you and then I'll come back here and kill everything you care for, and everyone you love."