Eighteen |

Eighteen |

It was raining. Like the start of every good horror movie. Teeth chomping viciously, and bright, crimson blood splattering around like a Jackson Pollock painting. The only sound was the distant rumbling of thunder, and the only smells were of fresh falling rain. It would have been peaceful if it wasn't destined to be horrible.

"Ring around a rosie."

A woman was singing and twirling. The white gown she wore fluttering up then down as she did.

"A pocket full of posies."

The creatures were almost at her now, jaws snarling and snapping at her feet. Her song didn't falter however, and neither did her smile. She stopped spinning at that moment.

"Hush."

She bent, clutching the creatures face with her hands, it struggled in her grip but found itself unable to move. Her smile widened until it stretched from ear to ear.

"Hush," she sang her hands jerking to opposite sides as a sickening crack sounded over the rain and the creature stilled.

"We all fall down."

I screamed jolting awake, breathing hard. The dingy smell of my own sweat burned at my nose and I felt the urge to vomit. My hand clutched my chest and I found myself looking around the dark room. My room. I was safe, and I was completely ok. I just, I couldn't understand why I kept having those vicious dreams.

"Mira!" I looked up, as my door was kicked open and Cam barged in swinging a metal baseball bat.

The sight was so absurd and as he looked around wildly for any signs of danger I couldn't help but laugh. He visibly relaxed spotting no trauma, and his warm, hazel eyes landed on me. An embarrassed blush danced across his cheeks and he made his way over to my bed – sitting on the edge.

"Sorry," he said awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.

I snickered poking his cheek, "don't be. I shouldn't have screamed."

"That's not true! You had a nightmare, you had every right to scream. I was just being silly."

I shook my head not speaking. He was wrong, I didn't have any right to scream. I was being an idiot. A privileged idiot. Feeling fear and having dreams that was only proof that I was breathing and I was alive. I clenched my fist, feeling annoyed at myself.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked after a while.

I looked over at him, smiling softly at his concern, "Not really."

"Sorry, didn't mean to step over any boundaries. Jax warned me about scaring you away," he grumbled much like a five year old and I laughed lightly.

"That's not it – Jax's an idiot. It's just all nightmares are the same now a days – aren't they? Blood and the dead," I sighed.

"I'm sorry."

I snickered poking him again, "Don't be so serious – what time is it?"

He looked at his watch, "almost two in the morning."

"Shall we hit up the bar then?" I hummed.

His eyes brightened and he jumped up, "Really? Together – like hanging out?"

"Simmer down, aren't you twenty?" I giggled.

He pouted, blushing once again. I slipped out of the bed, ignoring the cold breeze against my sweaty skin. I needed a quick shower if I was going to do any socialising. I smiled slightly at that – happiness pricking in my heart.