Thirty One |

Remember to comment, vote and follow!

Follow me on Twitter too @ CaptNandrews

Thirty One |

Beside me Leon chewed rather loudly on a stick of beef jerky as we both sat at Alana's dining room table. The old woman sat on the other side of us sipping at her dried apple and mint tea awaiting my response.

My response...

How was I supposed to respond?

I glanced over at Leon who purposely covered my view of his face with that damn branded hand. It was a bright and bold reminder of my long term goal. Or rather, what Leon had called it our time to "travel" as if there was a lot of sight-seeing to do in this damned world.

I sighed and scratched the back of my neck.

What could I say?

It was now clear Alana knew about Leon but I didn't know exactly how much. I didn't want to say anything that would put me in a difficult spot nor enough to give out Landon's sins away. Thus the awkward silence for the past half an hour.

Leon stopped his chewing to glance over at Alana, "Do you have any more of that jerky? It's pretty good."

My jaw dropped as Alana smiled kindly and stood before leaving into the kitchen. It shocked me the fact she would do so – I knew exactly how strong she was in spirit. However, it seemed Leon didn't care for the jerky because as soon as she was gone, he faced me.

"What will you tell her?" he whispered.

I shook my head and whispered back, "I don't know. What did you tell her?"

"Nothing about your situation. I suggest just tell her the things she needs to know."

"Like what?"

"Here," Alana coughed from the doorway, "Is some more. Don't eat it too fast or it'll spoil your stomach."

He thanked her then gave me a pointed look. I sighed.

"Alana," my voice had her attention on me and I bit my lip nervously, "I have no intentions of harming Landon whatsoever. What happened that day...I can't remember it clearly. Except Cici is dead and Landon is somehow involved in that. That is why I am traveling in a month. I need a change of atmosphere."

She was silent for a moment and I prayed she'd fall for my little lies. Finally, with a small sigh the old woman sat down. Leon and I waited for her to finish her tea before she turned her attention back to us.

"I'm truly sorry for the loss of Cerci. She was a bright and kind woman, not only an asset to this town but a good person all around. I should have never sent her out. Not her nor Leora. But, I will learn from this – no one is to leave this town without a certified and trained officer," she replied.

I laughed bitterly, "A little late for that don't you think?'

She shook her head, unbothered by my anger, "Not at all. However, that includes you. I cannot allow you to leave in a months' time without a trained escort. Of course due to your skill I will satisfied with two or three escorts."

What?

"You won't let us leave in a month unless someone comes with us?" I gasped.

She nodded, "That's right."

"That's not fair!" I fumed, "You don't even know if I'll be back after my travels!"

Alana's bright blue eyes glowed as she stared at me with pure authority. I leaned away from her and that damn gaze, and my fists balled as I pondered if I had pushed the mayor too far. However, instead of yelling or scolding me for my crude behaviour the old woman smiled.