Thirteen |

Thirteen |

"The man arrived about a day ago. Begging for us to let him in. Had bites all over his arms, his clothing shredded beyond repair. We figured he was more recently bit and so we sent him on his way with one of our guns," Alpha told Jax.

The kitchen was now empty, other than me, Jax, Alpha and Luna. Even the tea serving lady had ditched the room once Jax and Alpha entered. I didn't know why we had to come all the way here to hear about some man with a deadline.

"Really? You dragged me all the way here for this?" Jax sighed, agreeing with my thoughts.

Luna clicked her tongue, "Quiet, there's more."

I rolled my eyes, and leaned back. More about some dying man? Sounded like a pointless story to me. Instead, Jax and I had to put our throats on the line, to hear this? Ironic. However, I couldn't really complain, I wouldn't regret coming all this way. I wanted to see the Wolf Cove, and I was happy I did. From what I understood, Luna and I were now friends.

"Apparently he had left before this was relayed but, the guards on duty had said the bites had healed."

My breath caught, as my entire body froze. I leaned forward, my eyes widening as I processed the words that had just been spoken. A heavy weight seemed to sink right into my stomach as my anxiety rose.

The other doctors always made that anxious feeling return. They scared me, but daddy always said that he'd make sure they never ran any tests like the others.

"How is subject zero fairing?" A man in white asked daddy.

I watched them from where I sat licking the lollipop daddy had gotten me. Under my breath, I hummed mommy's song as they talked. My little mind tuned out the rest of their conversation.

"What's wrong Mira?" Luna hummed picking the wrong time to include me into this conversation.

"Nothing." I gritted out trying to stay within reality and not those damn memories.

"Is that all?" Jax asked Alpha with a wide, yawn.

Alpha merely sighed, "Yeah. It was strange but you know where our minds went."

"Erin, you need to listen to me closely," daddy whispered.

But I couldn't hear anything else. All I could hear was the sound of my own heartbeat pounding in my ears, as my body burned. I cried out, begging daddy to kill me. To stop the pain, but all he did was restrain me as that bite burned into my bone.

"Mira!"

I blinked as tears clouded my eyes. Back to reality, tears dripped down my face and had begun to collect on the tip of my chin. Disoriented I looked around, my palm pressed against my chest as if to some way calm it.

Hazel eyes burned with worry watched me, and I could feel his hands on my arms as if he was trying to shake me back to reality. I looked past Jax then, at Alpha and Luna. Luna watched me closely with her own concern, however there was a guarded look in Alpha's eyes that didn't sit well with me.

I blinked, and it was gone, replaced with curiosity and I wondered if that was merely my own paranoia from those badly timed memories. I caught my breath, realizing I had been breathing hard and pulled away from Jax's grip.

"I..." didn't even know how to come up with an excuse for this.

"She's exhausted, I'll take her back to her room. We can finish this conversation later," Jax seemed to think much more clearly than I did at this moment.