Twenty - Three |

An early update and an early celebration but: HAPPY HALLOWEEN! 

And dedicated to @fallboyz thank you for the votes and support, I'm glad you're enjoying it so far! I love when my readers comment! :) 

Enjoy, Comment, Vote and Follow! 

Also, tell me whatchu' being for Halloween? I'm being a Bunny this year, wbu? 

Twenty – Three |

"W-what?" I whispered faintly.

"Hey, don't look so worried. Apparently, subject zero had gone missing long, ago. Months before the end even started. Or maybe it was destroyed. They used subject zero to create the cure too. Then, with no use for the original virus form or the original cure form, no one really looked once it went missing," he informed me.

I felt like I was sinking. Sinking into a deep, dark hole.

"Are you alright?" he asked softly.

I nodded, tilting my head up towards the stars. They seemed so bright, as if only miles away. But that was a fake perspective. Just as fake as me apparently. Dad had said it was to cure my cancer, but now I knew that wasn't the whole truth. The truth was, I was possibly the first monster created. I was one of the reasons billions of people had died. Then, became monsters.

I knew it wasn't fair and I felt disgusted in myself. But, I wanted to live. I just didn't know how I was supposed to after this knowledge. I was the reason Cici died – it was my fault in more ways than one.

"She means a lot to you, didn't she?" Leon sighed.

Again I nodded, "She did."

He stopped me, his eyes narrowing towards me, "Don't do that. Don't blame yourself. What happened cannot be changed, and there is hope. If there is thirteen of us that are immune then there must be a way to reverse it."

He was right, that was hope – a sliver of hope but still hope. And it bloomed inside me, maybe I helped destroy this world but now I wanted to help save it. I wanted to save Cici and take back all the damages I had done.

His arm slid around me as he helped me over one of the cars blocking our path. I thanked him quietly as he let me go. At the end of the highway, I could see a gas station, and even father in the distance I could see shadows of a city.

"We'll stop at the station for the rest of the night. Then we can see about getting a new car," he hummed.

"Where did that guy go? The one who was with Cici and I?" I suddenly asked anger building inside me.

I needed to know if Landon was still alive. My fist curled tightly as I struggled to keep my rage down. He had hurt her, I needed to know. If he was I had to get to him first, then I'd rip apart his world and I'd rip him apart. He called me a savage, I'd show him a true savage.

"He got out of the house and I know you want me to say he could have never gotten through that horde but we did. There's a chance he did too," he said slowly.

"Then I'd need to find him, Leon I need to find him," I growled.

"Then what? Would that make you feel better about your friend?"

"No. But it would make me feel better to know where that monster will be. Hell."

He chuckled lowly, "Alright. I'll make you a deal. I'll help you exact revenge on this bastard, and you will help me find the other illicit. We can fix this world, but I can't alone."