Eighty One | *Restricted content

Eighty One | *graphic, violent

To say Alana looked pissed would be an understatement of the year. She did not looked pissed, she looked simply furious. Like at any moment all of us would combust into ash. All five of us stood in front of her in the office while a guard silently checked us for bites. The mayor was angry enough to skip formal checks in the tent and ordered Flynn to get someone to transport the apples to the farm then demanded us in her office.

And here we stood.

"Let me review for the tenth time," the old woman barked, pointing at each of us, "You picked only rotten apples. You insulted our guest, then you tried to drown her, and you Cameron Chase threatened to shoot him in the head! Anything else?"

Tyren smirked, "And Mira smells like shit."

I sent a glare to Tyren.

Alana slammed a book down onto her desk making us all jump, "Do you think this is a joke? I am not running a daycare, I am running a town and if you do not understand that I can send you to the farm to be babied."

"Yes ma'am."

She sat down, holding her head, "I'm no spring chicken, I simply cannot relate to these young adults and yet it seems they are the ones surviving."

"Alana?" I asked hesitantly.

She looked up sadly, "Last night we lost twelve people. All of them were over the age of forty. Could that mean something?"

Cam and I exchanged a look, Alana was losing her cool.

"Let's give our mayor some time," he said, "Get out."

Tyren smirked, resting his hands behind his head, "I don't have to listen to you."

"Actually," I replied, "You do. He's the lieutenant. Get out."

Cam sent me a relieved nod, "Let's head to the farm. I'll have you three help Annie make jam. Seeing as Noa is on a trip."

The room cleared until it was just me and the old woman. Now seeing her, she looked so...old and defeated. I stood behind her, hesitant if I should rub her back or some other sort of comforting action. I settled to place my hand on her shoulder and she sighed softly.

"Perhaps this is our punishment," she grumbled, "God is punishing us older folk because we had ruined the world. So he punished us in a way that only the young and innocent would survive. Maybe it is time I retired. You know I was thinking Raymond could take over. Or maybe Flynn. His a good boy."

I was shocked by her words, "Alana this town still needs you."

She looked over at me, "Does it?"

"Yes," I said sternly, "You need to get a hold of yourself. This town needs you."

Her gaze stayed on me and suddenly she looked away, out the window, "I think I'll make some tea. You should go, I hear Molly will be giving birth today or tomorrow. Jax is with her at the clinic, someone ought to watch our guests so Cameron can take over his duties."

I nodded, smiling slightly, "Yes ma'am."

Slipping out the room I hoped she'd be alright. It must have been two years or so now, since that first day I arrived. Two years felt like nothing now but for the mayor, it must have felt like forever. She needed support in these bad days so they didn't feel so overwhelming. I think she would be alright for now, but I also think that once Raymond was done with Molly, I should update him on Alana's mental heath.