Fourteen |

Fourteen |

It was almost night time when we met up with Alpha and Jax again. However, this time it was for dinner. I nervously took a seat at the long, dark oak dining room table beside Luna. It looked like it could seat well over fifty people – smaller than Alana's but still impressive.

I kept my gaze down on my empty plate as I could feel Jax sit on the other side of me, leaving Alpha to sit across from Luna. A plate of what looked like berries, meat and a plate of mashed potatoes. I looked up at the smell of honey mixed with meat that had me almost drooling.

"Wine?" The server woman asked and I nodded happily.

My glass was filled with wine and I began to heap my plate tall with potatoes and meat. Alpha commenting on my large portion and Luna giggled, but I didn't care. I was too hungry, and this food smelt much too good for me to speak.

Another thing that differed these people from Alana. As we ate, Alpha began to discuss business with Jax once again. Carrying on from where they left off. Lucky for me, by the time they began to talk about the mysterious stranger and not just trading, I was almost finished my plate.

"We are left with two possibilities," Alpha hummed lifting up two fingers, "one those bites weren't from zoms at all but perhaps non-infected humans, or some sort of animal. And two, some people are immune to the virus."

I placed my fork down, wiping emotions from my face. I needed to be careful however, I also needed to know more about this situation and this mysterious man. Luna looked over at me, and tilted her head. As if she knew I wanted to speak up. Shaking my head I kept silent. For now, I would just listen.

"And the chances there is an immunity just floating around, let alone the chances it would just stumble across your path?" Jax snickered.

My lips twitched at the humour in his statement. However, he must have seen the reaction out of the corner of his eye because suddenly he turned his attention towards me. A frown set into his face, his hazel eyes darkening me.

"Should she be listening to this?" he demanded towards Alpha.

Alpha raised his hands in defence and I narrowed my eyes at Jax. If he wanted to bicker here, then my wonderful bright green eyes would be the last thing he would see when I shoved my fork down his throat. Luna cleared her throat, I looked towards her as she watched Jax with a hard look.

"I invited her here to diner and to this meeting," she stated.

The twinkle in her eye made me realize she wanted him to argue with her. She wanted his disobedience. A smile pulled onto my face as I realized the woman was a fucking badass. I wanted to see her and Jax fight now – no doubt she'd beat his ass.

"You're putting her in danger," Jax growled.

Luna laughed darkly.

"And you think keeping this information from her will protect her? Use your head you idiot, she was put in danger the moment you, Cameron and Flynn picked her up," she snapped back, slamming her palms onto the table.

I looked over at Alpha, who simply leaned back and watched the two. I sighed now realizing why Alana ate before she discussed business – it was clear dinner was done. However looking at Jax still full plate, and Luna's plate of berries, no doubt they'd regret this bicker later.

Not that I wasn't grateful to Luna for defending me, but I didn't know what this danger they kept speaking of was. The world was dead and I was sure the population of people was under half a million, just what was there to fear besides the zoms?