Chapter Eight

Although Jiang Ningbao already prepared herself for this outcome, but once this scene happened, her heart turned cold. If her parents were still here, even if she did not care, the matter of this engagement won't be up to oldest aunt.

How could Butler Zhao not understand the meaning of Old Madam Jiang and Countess Changning? He swept his gaze to Jiang fourth miss who stayed silent and his heart heaved a sigh. Sir Heir's calculation was on spot, but he had to do it according to sir heir's instructions, so he hardened himself to speak of the other compensation.

"Our old madam agreed with sir heir's suggestion and also promised to give your residence a position of counselor in Minister of Public Works. What does the old madam thinks?"

Counselor in Minister of Public Works was a fifth rank position.

First Madam Zhang sucked in deep breath and her heart was palpitating in excitement. Her eyes already turned green.

She gave birth to two sons and two daughters. Both her sons were useless. The first son was ordinary. He was twenty years old and studied diligently for ten years, participated in imperial examinations several times but never obtain scholarly honor. But the oldest son could inherit Changning Residence. Her second son gave up on imperial examinations this year and his future was unknown. Changning Count had pulled his connections and wanted to give his second son an official rank. It should be easy because others would give face to Duke Ding Residence.

But after the matter in Peach Blossom Banquet, seeing Duke Ding heir's attitude to Anyuan Marquis' legitimate daughter, everyone was looking around. The seventh rank position which they agreed on for her second son never came.

First Madam Zhang could not sleep well or eat well because of this matter. But now, there was suddenly a position of fifth rank official. How could she still think of her niece? She was dying for this engagement to be canceled.

She took a deep breath and suppressed the excitement in her heart, wanting to open her mouth.

"Mother, since Duke Ding Residence is sincere. Why don't we just agree on this matter?"

Saying this, Madam Zhang awkwardly looked at Jiang Ningbao and gave her an apologetic smile, "Fourth girl, don't blame oldest aunt. This is also for your own good. Being a duke residence's young miss is better than being a count residence's young miss."

Jiang Ningbao did not say anything but her pair of beautiful eyes stared at Madam Zhang silently. There was no longer any gentleness and her brows emanated coldness.

Really her 'good' relatives.

Benefit for Changning Count Residence and loss for  her reputation.

If her parents were still here.....

Jiang Ningbao could not help thinking about her parents who were 'deceased' and her older brother who was still studying at Azure Mountain Academy. Her heart was bitter. She and her older brother Jiang Jin had a good relationship. Jiang Jin already had already passed the county level imperial examination and was now studying at the academy to prepare for this year's provincial examination. He wanted to pass, gave honor to the second branch, and let her marry with pride.

But a pity he did not know that his little sister's engagement was being canceled.

Remembering the ending of the second branch, Jiang Ningbao's heart was doused with cold water.

Madam Zhang was being stared until her guilty conscience came out. She felt angry and silently thought that this niece could not tell good from bad. She turned to Old Madam Jiang who was silent and called in an anxious voice, "Mother!"

Jiang Mingyao's face changed. Her mother's attitude made her felt worse. She closed her eyes and did not dare to glance at her fourth sister. She was afraid that she would see a look of despair.

Old Madam Jiang's heart waver even more. Between exchanging a granddaughter that she did not like for her legitimate grandson's future, she would choose the latter.

But she could not agree too quickly since Old Madam Jiang really value her face. She had slapped herself once and although she said to think it through, she really wanted to agree right now. But if she did that, she would leave a bad impression on the servants present.

Seeing her oldest daughter-in-law being so impatient, old madam wanted to scold her for being an idiot. Where was the calculation she had usually?

Not receiving a reply from Old Madam Jiang, First Madam Zhang's face sunk.

Butler Zhao waited patiently. He looked at the delicate looking Jiang fourth miss from the corner of his eye and noticed her expressionless face. His heart felt weird.

Jiang fourth miss' reaction was not normal.

A moment later, Old Madam Jiang glared at Madam Zhang and said sternly, "Madam Zhang, fourth girl is mu legitimate granddaughter. Her marriage will be according to my decision, you don't need to worry."