Chapter Eighteen

Duke Ding Residence, Thriving Joy Hall. The incense smoke wafted in the air.

Old Madam Xie whose hair was all white slowly sipped her tea as she heard Butler Zhao's report, her expression changing.

Her son's marriage was always Old Madam Xie's sore point. But she was helpless since her son had that kind of body constitution that led to women hiding from her son. Now, there's actually a girl who did not want her life who wanted to get married to her son!

Even if she was once her adopted grandson's fiancee, it's fine.

Jiang family's fourth miss was born into Changing Count Residence's second branch. Both her looks and her background was not bad. If she really could resist her son's ominous energy.....Old Madam Xie's eyes flashed.

She's only a mother who wanted her son to have a wife who could accompany him. The adopted grandson and those etiquette was not as important as her son.

Old servant Huang was Old Madam Xie's trusted servant and also Butler Zhao's wife. She was once the servant who followed Old Madam Xie after marriage and the one who knew Old Madam Xie the most. She glanced at Old Madam Xie and spoke.

"Old Madam, why don't we take Jiang fourth miss' eight characters to Monk Gao to see if she's suitable with Duke Ding's eight characters. If she is, then the change of the engagement should not be a problem."

Old Madam Xie only sipped her tea, but the wavering in her eyes became stronger.

"You're right. There's nothing wrong in trying."

Butler Zhao released a breath mentally. He took out a card with the horoscope and respectfully gave it. "Old Madam, this is Jiang fourth miss' horoscope."

The horoscope card should be returned at first, but Changning Count Residence had not agreed to the annulment officially so Jiang Ningbao's horoscope card was not sent back.

Old Madam Xie nodded and her eyes flashed with anticipation. She gestured for Old servant Huang to keep it.

"Old Madam, there's another thing. Changning Count Residence's first madam sent someone over with a condition." Butler Zhao thought back to the servant send by Countess Changning and his heart pity Jiang fourth miss even more.

"What condition?"

"Countess Changning hoped that her youngest daughter can get married with Xie family's second branch, Young Master Xie Jinghui." Butler Zhao respectfully answered. He had not good impression on Countess Changning who stepped on Jiang fourth miss to get benefit.

Old Madam Xie snapped her head and frowned. She said with indifference, "I will not get involved in this matter. You tell the heir and he will decide."

In the end, the one who wanted to annul the engagement was that grandson so he should be the one dealing with the problems that came after.

Old Madam Xie originally liked this adopted grandson and he was also from the Xie clan's main house so she doted on him and let the servants call him 'heir'. Who knew that he would cancel his engagement with Jiang fourth lady for Anyuan Marquis' legal daughter? Old Madam Xie could not accept this. She knew how their engagement came to be so toward his action, there was a knot in her heart.

A girl having her engagement canceled and the etiquette was harsh on girls so that girl would either be married off randomly or she would be sent to the monastery to be a nun.

How could they talk about happiness?

Especially a girl whose parents were deceased. Even if she had a good brother, but since he had not gained merits, adding the fact that Countess Changning was a calculative person, one could guess the difficulty Jiang fourth miss was facing.

But Duke Ding Residence still needed him to impart and inherit.

Old Madam Xie closed an eye on this matter and helped him clean up after his mess and compensated Jiang fourth miss. She secretly hoped that Jiang fourth miss' eight characters were compatible with her son's, so her grandson won't destroy a life.

"Butler Zhao, don't let the heir know the compensation Jiang fourth miss wants. As for Changning Count Residence, there shouldn't be any word leaking about Jiang fourth miss declaring she wants to get married to my son."

Old Madam Xie could not help giving instructions. She did not want Jiang fourth miss being dissed at this time, even if her eight characters were not compatible with her son's.

Butler Zhao agreed and did not tell the heir.

The result was as Old Madam Xie expected. Old Madam Jiang and First Madam Zhang did not leak what Jiang Ningbao said.

So outsiders only knew that Butler Zhao visited to annul the engagement.

Even the male lead Xie Jingyi did not know that his former fiancee would agree to the annulment and wanted to marry his adopted dad, Duke Ding, without any reluctance.