Chapter Twenty Nine

A bunch of people gathered in the hall and the black clouds outside were covering the sky. The atmosphere in the room was nervous and dignified.

Old Madam Jiang sat on the main hall with her hair neatly combed. Her coloring seemed good, especially her pair of sharp deep eyes.

Coincidentally, Changning Count was not working today. He and First Madam Zhang sat near Old Madam Jiang. There were also other children and madams from side branches who used the excuse of greeting the old madam to look at the show.

The only weird thing was, there was no Jiang Mingyao.

Jiang Ningbao mull it over. This matter that was disgraceful for Changning Count Residence, aside from her who was at the center of the matter, it was indeed not good for other ladies and young masters to appear here.

The madams from the side branches who rarely saw Jiang Ningbao stealthily sneaked a peek at her who was sitting next to Madam Zhang calmly. They discussed in a small voice.

"So the second branch's fourth miss is actually this pretty."

"What pretty? Weak and soft like that, it's not good. No wonder Heir Xie wants to annul this engagement. The fourth miss did not look like a madam, but a concubine."

"Indeed not good. Seeing her face makes me think of those temptress back in the harem. I can finally understand Heir Xie's choice. This kind of woman being the madam, it's embarrassing!"

"It's not as bad as you say. Looks are decided from birth. Don't you see that her eyes are clear? May be she is not like you think."

"Chi! Only you will be the good person."

These discussions entered Jiang Ningbao's ears and she patted her Sapphire bracelet carved with auspicious clouds. Her eyes seemed as if flittering light passed by.

Her weak and soft looks really made other women envious.

Between 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. past forty five minutes, there was an old servant hurrying in to report.

"Old madam, Duke Ding Residence's Butler Zhao has arrived."

Old Madam Jiang waved her hand and her eyes were bright and shiny, "Let them in."

Changning Count and Madam Zhang sat straight unconsciously.

The side branches madams shut their mouths and they had a gaze that were seeking to see a good show. Their gazes went to Jiang Ningbao here and then, seeing her with pity and gloated on her misfortune.

Jiang Ningbao took in the expressions of the people in the hall, especially the few side branches madams. Her mouth curved and she laughed voicelessly.

Butler Zhao led a bunch of guards who carried boxes of compensation gifts and greeted Old Madam Jiang and Changning Count.

"This Zhao greets old madam, the count, and the madams."

"Today, this Zhao believes that every one here know the purpose of this visit, that is representing sir heir to give back the engagement cards and officially annul the engagement. Aside from the two compensations mentioned before, sir heir also gave other compensations."

Butler Zhao was the same as before, cutting into the point once he arrived. After he was done talking, he gestured to the guard and the guards opened the boxes.

High quality silks and satin, shining gold and silver pearls and jewelry, precious paintings, and there were two big boxes of gold, all presented to the people in the hall.

The hall was filled with the shine of the treasures, almost blinding people.

The side branches madams wrung their handkerchiefs and stared at those boxes with short and heave breaths. Their eyes were almost green.

First Madam Zhang's heart was beating fast, almost jumping in excitement.

Hers! These were all hers!

Madam Zhang screamed in her heart.

Changning Count seemed composed, but his eyes were widened and the hand gripping the cup gave away his excitement. His heart was blooming.

Only Old Madam Jiang was dissatisfied.

These much material compensation, in Old Madam Jiang's eyes, were lacking not just by a bit, but she could not speak out, lest she got an image of a greedy person who sold her granddaughter.

Hence, Old Madam Jiang could only stay silent and glared at her son and daughter-in-law, along with those side branches madam. She scolded them in her heart, good-for-nothings!

Butler Zhao carried a smile as he took in the reactions of the people in Changning Count Residence. He especially took notice of Jiang fourth miss. Her eyes were clear and pure, the pair of beautiful eyes were not moved in the slightest.

He nodded in approval in his heart. This Jiang fourth miss did not let him down.

"Butler Zhao, are these the compensations given to me?" Jiang Ningbao lifted her lips and her soft voice rang like a thunder in the silence, snapping the people back to reality.