Chapter Seventy Four

"Thanking oldest uncle."

Jiang Ningbao thanked him with a smile as she sat down on an empty seat quite near to Jiang Mingyao, Chun Xi was behind her. A pretty servant girl came over to pour her a cup of tea.

The few concubines from the first branch and the children they bore all glanced at Jiang Ningbao with jealousy and envy.

Legitimate born was good.

Especially this fourth lady who had the generous dowry of the second branch's madam. The output and input every year could be summed into a very abundant wealth.

No wonder the first madam would put her sight on this fourth lady.

Old Madam Jiang of Changning Count Residence placed great importance on legitimate and illegitimate, and she was a control freak, managing a household in a very strict manner. Even First Madam Zhang could only dare to do only petty tricks in the dark, while the concubines and their children could not enter the old madam's eyes. No matter how Changning Count favored them, he still did not dare to let them overstep the boundaries.

But their food and their clothes were not bad.

Jiang Ningbao ignored the gazes of the first branch's illegitimate children and smiled toward her fifth sister, Jiang Mingyao. The one thing that she was most satisfied about Changning Count Residence was that the annoying things were little and the intrigue was all done in private.

Aside from the people who used the title of elders, no one dared to annoy her.

"Oldest uncle, I heard that grandmother and oldest aunt had invited Buddhist great masters into the residence. Are grandmother and oldest aunt alright?" Jiang Ningbao asked with a face full of concern although she was actually speechless in her heart. The group of people stayed in the main hall and oldest uncle's concubines all glanced seductively. No one went into the first madam's room to see.

Even Madam Zhang's children were like that.

Actually, Jiang Ningbao did not know because she came late that everyone had entered to see First Madam Zhang. Seeing her alright, only frightened because of the invasion of the ominous energy as she lay on the bed trembling and feeling unwell, they all did not stay in the room.

Coincidentally, it was time for dinner. Because of that, the first branch's concubines and the illegitimate children did not leave, preparing to eat dinner with Changning Count.

This was a rare chance to gather.

Changning Count Jiang Dongming glanced at the culprit, his niece, and saw her unsettled expression. His brows eased at that.

"Your grandmother is alright. Tomorrow, your oldest aunt will go to the temple to stay for a while."

Jiang Ningbao revealed a relieved expression and the restlessness between her brows disappeared. She released her breath, "It's good that grandmother and oldest aunt are alright. If not, this niece will feel restless and won't be able to eat and sleep peacefully."

Changning Count Jiang Dongming looked at his niece deeply and spoke faintly.

"You are not to blame for this matter. It's just your oldest aunt seeking trouble."

Jiang Ningbao : "....."

These words were spoken too direct. The concubines of the first branch heard the oldest uncle's words and expressions of gloating over others' suffering appearing on their faces while only her two male cousins' expressions changed.

She noticed that this oldest uncle was callous. There was no shred of care or worry in his eyes. It was obvious that he did not have any emotion toward his oldest aunt.

But Jiang Ningbao did not feel empathy toward Madam Zhang.

Jiang Mingyao looked at the soft and gentle fourth sister with a complicated gaze. She knew that her mother must have been attacked by the ominous energy contained within the sutra Duke Ding made and this was not the fourth sister's fault, but her heart still felt uncomfortable.

So she did not speak with Jiang Ningbao.

A few days after not meeting each other, the fourth sister changed to be more dazzling. The matter of engagement annulment did not affect the fourth sister in the slightest. At the same time, she distanced herself to her. Jiang Mingyao pursed her lips and averted her gaze.

At this time, Jiang Ningbao's oldest male cousin Jiang Zhuo patted the shoulder of the male beside him. He smiled as he spoke, "Fourth sister, come, let me introduce to you. This one is my cousin Zhang Zhan. You can call him Cousin Zhan. He will live in the residence for a few days."

"Jiang fourth miss, I've heard of you before. I am Zhang Zhan." The refined and good-looking man smiled and introduced himself with politeness. His heart was very satisfied.

This Jiang fourth miss was pretty and her background was good. She also had generous dowry.

No one was more suitable to be his wife than her.

Aunt really chose a good one for him.

Jiang Ningbao's expression was faint and she was polite and distant, "Hello, Sir Zhang."

Surname Zhang and also Jiang Zhuo's cousin. It seemed that this was First Madam Zhang's maternal nephew.

Wait a moment. Zhang Zhan, this name felt familiar.

Jiang Ningbao's heart was surprised. Wasn't this Zhang Zhan someone who was related to Jiang Ningbao? She once more browsed through the transmigrator's memories and finally found the materials of this Zhang Zhan.

'Jiang Ningbao' in the book did not agree to annul the engagement and kept on getting entangled with the male lead Xie Jingyi. She also framed the female lead. While the female lead acted as if she was enduring it and made concessions, the female lead secretly made an alliance with First Madam Zhang to deal with 'Jiang Ningbao'. Zhang Zhan was an important pawn in this.

He was the legitimate son of First Madam Zhang's oldest brother. Madam Zhang's maternal house was poverty-stricken and they ate next year's food. 'Jiang Ningbao' had a big dowry and Madam Zhang had long wanted to scheme against 'Jiang Ningbao' but she was afraid of the Duke Ding Residence, so she did nothing.

And then, with Anyuan Marqui's oldest legitimate daughter's support, Madam Zhang became gutsy.

She used Zhang Zhan to ruin 'Jiang Ningbao's' innocence, forcing 'Jiang Ningbao' to get married to her maternal nephew. 'Jiang Ningbao' was not willing. Even though 'Jiang Ningbao''s innocence was gone, she was not willing to get married.

But male lead Xie Jingyi used this opportunity to forcefully annul the engagement with the excuse of 'Jiang Ningbao' losing her innocence and got engaged with Yang Shuqing. This made 'Jiang Ningbao' completely crumble apart.

She did not think that Zhang Zhan would appear ahead of time.

Jiang Ningbao laughed coldly in her heart. It seemed that after she annulled her engagement, oldest aunt Madam Zhang kept thinking about her dowry. What living in the residence for a few days, they probably wanted to ruin her innocence and force her to get married.

What a good scheme.

She was not the book's 'Jiang Ningbao', but the characters related to 'Jiang Ningbao' kept on coming.