Chapter Twelve

Old Madam Jiang squinted her eyes and gestured for the servants to get out. The ones left was only Madam Zhang and her granddaughter Jiang Mingyao. She laughed coldly, "Since fourth girl wants to get married to Duke Ding then let her. She could not protect her engagement anyway, I want to see what kind of things she could do. Aside from that fifth rank official, don't forget to ask for more compensation."

First Madam Zhang heard this and her eyes flashed with a calculative glint, "Mother is right. But like this, our relationship with Duke Ding Residence will end."

To be truthful, Madam Zhang was not willing to lose the relationship with Duke Ding Residence.

Old Madam Jiang glanced at her oldest daughter-in-law and sipped her tea soup. She gave her a pointer, "Isn't there still the Xie family? Fifth girl is almost sixteen and her engagement should be decided. I see that Xie family's second branch is not bad."

Jiang Mingyao was stunned and her cool face was written with surprise and bewilderment.

Grandmother.....grandmother wanted to make use of fourth sister's engagement being canceled to let her marry into the Xie family.

How could they? How could they?

Madam Zhang came to a realization. She remembered that Xie family's second branch had legitimate son who had just turned sixteen and without any engagement. He was the biological brother of Duke Ding's heir.

As long as Yao'er marry over, they could still had some relationship with Duke Ding Residence.

Xie family's second branch's young master was a popular target. The people who wanted to marry over to Xie family's second branch were a lot and Changning Count Residence had nothing special to show.

But now this chance came.

"Thanking mother for giving pointer."

First Madam Zhang squinted her eyes and they were full of calculations. Using the matter of her niece's engagement being annulled, she could get that engagement. Her niece's value was only this anyway.

Old Madam Jiang saw her oldest daughter-in-law's gaze and nodded in satisfaction. It was still the oldest daughter-in-law who suit her the most, not like the daughter-in-law her second son married, not respectful and envious. When that woman was alive, her job was to anger her, this old madam, to death.

Thinking about Madam Yang who was deceased and thinking about the fourth miss, the foolish granddaughter she gave birth to, Old Madam Jiang became angrier.

"This matter must be dealt with quickly. You should send someone over to the Duke Residence later. I'm tired. You should go down."

Old Madam Jiang waved her hand and gestured for Madam Zhang to leave.

Madam Zhang gave her respect and left. She called her trusted servant over in happiness and whispered some things in her ear. The servant then left the Changning Count Residence.

Madam Zhang stood on the residence's winding corridor and stared at her trusted servant's leaving back. Her mouth curved into a smile subconsciously and said to Jiang Mingyao, "Yao'er, mother found you a good marriage."

Jiang Mingyao glanced at her mother's smiling face with complicated emotions. She thought of her fourth sister who was given a blow so huge that her personality changed and she felt guilty. She pursed her lips and turned her face away, rejected coldly.

"Mother, fourth sister is pitiful enough. I don't want to step on fourth sister to marry into the Xie family."

First Madam Zhang's face changed and her voice was warm and gently as she persuaded.

"Yao'er, this concerns your future happiness. Don't be willful."

Jiang Mingyao stayed silent and her clear eyes gazed at Madam Zhang with rejection.

She understood that her mother not only wanted the fifth rank official position in the compensation, she also wanted to use fourth sister until there's nothing left.

Once she thought of the marriage was obtained by stepping on fourth sister, Jiang Mingyao's heart was uncomfortable.