Chapter Fourteen

After eating lunch, Chun Xi cleaned the table. Jiang Ningbao sat on the short couch and boiled a pot of fragrant leaves as she gazed at the osmanthus flower tree outside, her thoughts flying.

Speaking about the engagement between Sir Heir Xie Jingyi and her, the book did not describe it but Jiang Ningbao was clear about it. Summing into a phrase, it would be life-saving gratitude, knotting the two families together.

Her mother Madam Yang rescued Xie family's second madam and six years old Xie Jingyi when she was just three years old. At that time, Xie Jingyi had not been adopted by Duke Ding.

After Xie family's second branch madam was rescued and knew that this mother had a three years old daughter, the second madam suggested getting engaged. Her mother, Madam Yang, seeing Xie Jingyi being smart and sensitive, also good looking, agreed.

The two families were considered well-matched in social and economic status.

Xie family was a famous nobility and was deep rooted with branches multiplied and leaves growing splendidly, especially after the Xie family produced a Duke Ding, it was even more lustrous and famous.

Xie family's second branch had a lot of children but the ones who were outstanding were very few. In the Xie clan, their standing was ordinary but they produced Xie Jingyi who was good looking and smart.

Xie Jingyi was acknowledged by Old Madam Xie when he was eight years old and under the witness of the clan, he was adopted to Duke Ding, becoming Duke Ding Residence's sir heir. She who was his fiancee also rose in status, becoming the lady other noble ladies envied.

"For the girl he likes, he harms the daughter of the person who saved his life and then joined the female lead to destroy her family..... this male lead is really an ungrateful one."

Jiang Ningbao sipped her tea and murmured.

The book never mentioned this, only saying that Jiang Ningbao was not resigned and pestered the male lead. No, it was mentioned after the reputation of Jiang Ningbao being a venomous woman who did her best to ruin Yang Shuqing but the timing was late. Aside from the people who originally knew of this and aside from her parents, no one was willing to speak up hence others did not believe this.

Only feeling that she was carelessly climbing and bit onto the newly appointed Duke Ding.

Jiang Ningbao knitted her brows and her gaze was wondering. A moment later, she realized something and sighed, "What a foolish child."

Matters of the heart were always puzzling.

Fortunately, she was not the book's 'her'.

Having memory from her past life, Jiang Ningbao's feelings to Xie Jingyi was faint. Xie Jingyi was not her type but since she was already engaged to him, Jiang Ningbao planned to spend the rest of her life with a life of mutual respect.

Who knew that she found out that she transmigrated into a book?

And facing engagement annulment too.

No one knew the excitement and happiness inside Jiang Ningbao's heart.

Chun Xi came back at this time, carrying a basket full of red strawberries. She opened the eight treasures bead curtain and put the strawberries that were already washed clean to the side of the short couch. After hesitating a few times, Chun Xi bit her lips an complaint.

"Lady, Manager Yao send a crate of strawberries over and First Madam sent someone to take more than half of it over."

Manager Yao was the person responsible for managing Jiang Ningbao's dowry shops.

These past three years, he would send some fresh fruits over to Changning Count Residence and Azure Mountain Academy. It's a pity that most of it went to First Madam Zhang's pocket.

Every single time it happened, Chun Xi could not help but felt heartache.

"Chun Xi, don't bother these small things. Oldest aunt won't dare to do it too much."

Jiang Ningbao laughed lightly and ate a strawberry. She spoke with indifference.

Chun Xi thought it over and agreed. These past three years, First Madam never took all of the fruits Manager Yao sent over. But aside from the fruits, there was another matter Chun Xi was worried about.

"Lady, First Madam actually let the servants discussed the matter of your engagement being annulled! The whole capital might already know that Duke Ding Residence annulled the engagement!"

Jiang Ningbao glanced at Chun Xi and a smile appeared on her delicate and gentle face, "It will spread sooner or later anyway. Chun Xi, we have to stay calm. Isn't it just annulling the engagement, it's no big deal."

The brighter this fire burnt, the better.

Chun Xi bit her lips and felt unfair for her lady. "But.....but it's not young miss' fault!"

Jiang Ningbao smiled faintly and blinked at Chun Xi.

"Chun Xi, there are a lot of thing that won't go as we like, who knows that something better awaits us at the end?"

Then, she took another strawberry and ate it. Jiang Ningbao squinted her eyes in satisfaction and felt weird. How could no one spread the rumor of her wanting to marry Duke Ding?

In Jiang Ningbao's perspective, Duke Ding was much better than Xie Jingyi that ungrateful b**tard. A pity he was not the male lead, only someone who delivered a cheat to the male lead and had to die early to let the male lead pick the power and status cheaply then stabilize his position as the male lead.

What a disappointment.

Fortunately, she had the ability of miraculous wine brewing. The wine she brewed had mystical effects. As long as she married Duke Ding and brewed him medicinal wine, he would have no problem living until hundred years.

Speaking about it, she's a professional.

Jiang Ningbao's eyes flashed with a brilliant light.