Chapter Sixty Seven

Duke Ding Xie Heng gazed at the little lady's slender and graceful figure as a wave rose in his eyes filled with ominous energy. He expressionlessly whipped the horse to turn and led the black clothed guards to leave. The carriage drive also whipped the horse to leave.

The crowd outside had not dispersed and they were in a heated discussion.

"Duke Ding's aura is so scary. I'm shocked till I'm drenched in cold sweat."

"I'm shocked till my knees turned weak."

"What is happening? Wasn't today the day Heir Xie and Oldest Miss Yang got engaged? What is the meaning of Duke Ding sending Jiang fourth miss a sutra?"

"Love token?"

The crowd halted and they all looked at the last one speaking with a speechless state. That person shrunk his neck and stepped back in fear, "Why are you guys looking at me?"

"I've never heard of anyone giving Buddhist sutra as a love token."

"I've never heard of it either."

"The Buddhist sutra was not the main point. Have you guys forgotten that Jiang fourth miss said that today's lunch was delicious? It seems that Jiang fourth miss is treated well in the Duke Ding Residence."

"Also, it seems that Jiang fourth miss is not afraid of Duke Ding and Duke Ding seems to treat Jiang fourth miss differently. Won't this mean that Jiang fourth miss has a big chance of getting married to Duke Ding?"

"Hearing you say it like that, I suddenly feel a little anticipation."

"Haha, I also anticipate it. Ex-fiancee turned adopted mother, being higher in seniority all of a sudden. I want to know how Heir Xie reacts."

"If it's really like this, won't Jiang fourth miss and Oldest Miss Yang become mother-in-law and daughter-in-law?"

"Haha!"

"Not there's a good show."

"I want to know how Heir Xie reacts."

"....."

The servants of Changning Count Residence heard the discussion of the crowd and they were all in a trance. If Jiang fourth miss really got married to Duke Ding, the residence would undergo big changes.

As the first madam's servants, there was old servant Yang's relative within the two gatekeepers and the news traveled fast. They all knew that the first madam wanted to give this fourth miss an engagement and they looked at each other.

This would be troublesome.

Old Madam Jiang received the news about what happened in the gates right after it happened. She did not think that this fourth miss that she did not like had this kind of good luck.

Old Madam Jiang sipped her tea and her eyes glinted.

"Hong Xing, call fourth miss to go to Golden Longevity Hall later on."

Jiang Ningbao returned to her courtyard with a good mood, not at all minding the gazes of the servants. Who knew that on the road, she would meet Old Madam Jiang's trusted servant Hong Xing who was searching for her. Hong Xing bowed to Jiang Ningbao respectfully, "Fourth lady, the old madam wishes to see you."

Jiang Ningbao's eyes flashed and she nodded with a light smile, "I will go there now."

Following servant Hong Xing to the Golden Longevity Hall and telling Chun Xi to stay outside, Jiang Ningbao entered the hall alone and saw Old Madam Jiang who sat in the main hall. First Madam Zhang sat below her and beside her, there were three lively servants serving at the side.

Jiang Ningbao walked forward in small steps and greeted with a smile, "Granddaughter greets grandmother." And then she greeted First Madam Zhang whose face was not too good.

From the etiquette, no one could find fault in her.

Old Madam Jiang deeply gazed at the smiling fourth lady. Before, this granddaughter of hers was always too submissive and meek.

Every single time the old madam saw her like this, she would feel disgusted and unhappy.

No, fourth girl seemed like a jade that was polished delicately, displaying the resplendent brilliance that belonged to her, stealing others' gazes. This kind of aura and romantic charm was not something one could have overnight. It seemed that the fourth girl had been hiding inadequacy by keeping quiet these past years.

"Fourth girl, I heard that Duke Ding escorted you back to the residence, is it true?" Old Madam Jiang lifted her teacup and sipped the tea. Her eyes were staring at Jiang Ningbao's face sharply.

Jiang Ningbao smiled slightly and answered in a tone not fast or slow, "Replying grandmother, there is indeed this matter."

"Fourth girl, why would Duke Ding escort you back to the residence?" Old Madam Jiang's eyes lit up with a luster. She put down her teacup and continued to ask.

Jiang Ningbao smiled as she answered, "Old Madam Xie told sir duke to send granddaughter back to the residence."

Old Madam Jiang heard this and her gaze turned more amiable. Her eyes moved to the Buddhist sutra in Jiang Ningbao's hands and halted. She heard that Duke Ding gave the fourth girl a sutra, could it be this one?

"Is this the sutra Duke Ding sent?"

Jiang Ningbao lowered her head to look at the sutra in her hands. She gently stroked it and raised her head to stare at the old madam with clear eyes. She nodded, "Yes."

"Fourth girl, why did Duke Ding send you a sutra? Could it be that your speech a few days ago angered Duke Ding?" Her first aunt Madam Zhang who kept silent got the chance she looked for to speak. Her eyes stared at the sutra in Jiang Ningbao's hands without moving as her voice carried the intention to corner her.

Jiang Ningbao thought in her heart, here it came.

The women in the backyard had the specialty of using Buddhist sutra to make news.

Old Madam Jiang's face sank slightly. It was obvious that she also thought that the action of giving a sutra may have a different meaning, if she interpreted it wrong..... It seemed that she still had to ask for more details.

"Fourth girl, let use put aside the matter of Buddhist sutra. Tell grandmother the matter about Duke Ding Residence."

Jiang Ningbao glanced at her oldest aunt and calmly told her what happened from when she met Duke Ding at the main gates of Duke Ding Residence. She retold what happened today clearly.

She also hid the matter of medicinal wine.

The whole hall was in silence.