Chapter One Hundred and Forty

Hence, Madam Zhang held in her suffering and went back to Changning Count Residence hastily when the sky was still dark. Once she went back, Madam Zhang handled the two servants Old Servant Yang spoke with burning impatience. She sent someone to spread the news that the count residence's fifth lady's marriage date had indeed been changed but it was not to the first of fifth month, but the tenth of fifth month. The date was changed by someone else.

Once this news came out, the whole capital was in an uproar.

What a good turning the tables show.

No wonder the two families did not make any action, so they went to investigate this matter. The person behind this scheme was really hateful.

Anyuan Marquis Residence.

After Yang Shuqing knew of this change, her smile disappeared and her heart dropped. She thought that the small scheme succeeded. Who knew that she got happy too early.

Fine, it was only to disgust Jiang Ningbao. Yang Shuqing's face recovered and her heart was feeling schadenfreude.

Xie Family's Second Mistress was probably the most angry one, her plan going down the drain and all.

When Jiang Family's fifth lady married into Xie Family, she probably would experience hardship.

Xie Family's Second Mistress was indeed furious as Yang Shuqing predicted. At this time, the marriage date could not be changed anymore and Xie Family's Second Mistress hated Madam Zhang who hindered her son's road to rapid official advancement. At the same time, she also took her anger out on Jiang Mingyao.

That night, the moon was bright and the stars were rare. After bathing, Jiang Ningbao stood by the window, feeling refreshed. She stared at the bright stars at the sky and her lips curved into a smile. Her oldest aunt did not disappoint her indeed.

Tenth of fifth month was also a good day to be married.

"Lady, the dowry will be added tomorrow. The estimated people attending are a lot. You should rest early tonight." After Chun Xi made the bed, she spoke this.

Jiang Ningbao nodded and let Chun Xi leave.

The candlelight shook and Jiang Ningbao who laid on the bed did not sleep. The nearer it was to her wedding, her calm heart slowly turned nervous. This was her first marriage in her two lives and her heart was too happy and excited.

Dayue Dynasty had a tradition that five days before the marriage, the groom and the bride could not meet.

Fortunately, it was only five days. If it was a month, then wouldn't she feel very unwell?

Jiang Ningbao chattered in her heart a little ad snuggled into her blanket.

Duke Ding Residence.

In the study, Duke Ding Xie Heng was sorting out documents. The candle light illuminated the side face of his hard features. Until it was around 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. did he put down the white jade and wolf brush. He rubbed the purple wooden Buddhist bracelet as he sank into his thoughts.

The personal guards were all speechless.

In five more days, the duke would be married, yet he still passed his days as usual. By the day, he went to the large barracks in Western Suburbs to train the soldiers. At night, he sort out documents as usual. His days passed by in a strict pattern.

He did not look like he was someone about to get married at all.

The only thing worth rejoicing was that every night, Xie Qi would help the duke and Jiang fourth miss to exchange letters and develop feelings.

If it weren't for the intimate gestures between the duke and Jiang fourth miss, along with the proactively prepared wedding, they would all suspect that the duke did not want to get married.

Actually, the personal guards only looked at the surface. They did not realize that the duke's speed at sorting the documents lowered. Before, he used less than two hours to sort out the stack of documents, yet now, he did not finish it even after four hours.

Duke Ding went back to the main courtyard to wash himself. After that, he took the letter sent by the little lady that night. The words on the letter was clear and pleasant with the special way that belonged to the lady.

After reading it for many times, Duke Ding kept the letter and laid on the bed. Before sleeping, his mind suddenly thought of the little lady's bright smiling figure.

Duke Ding's heart heated up. In five more days, he won't be sleeping alone on the big bed anymore.

......

The next day, Changning Count Residence was decked with lanterns and coloured streamers. It was covered in a happy atmosphere.

"Ningbao, brother rushed back."

After Jiang Ningbao finished washing and dressing, she heard a familiar voice. She turned her head and saw her older brother Jiang Jin came with a tired face as he looked at her with a smile. Jiang Ningbao immediately had on a happy smile.

"Brother, you came back so quickly."

But seeing her older brother's travel-worn and weary appearance, Jiang Ningbao felt heartache and spoke, "Brother, don't rush back in the future. It's only adding dowry these few days and big brother does not need to entertain the guests. You should go wash yourself. Let's eat breakfast together later."

Jiang Jin nodded while smiling. He then led his male servant back to the courtyard.

After the pair of siblings had breakfast, Jiang Ningbao wore a red flowering crabapple embroidered twin lotuses dress. A big and round night pearl decorated her head. Pure gold embed jewelry was all over her, making her seem magnanimous, bright, and beautiful.

"Brother, I'm going to the main courtyard. You should return to your courtyard and rest."

Jiang Ningbao waved her hand toward her older brother.

Older brother Jiang Jin looked at the tender and beautiful sister and his handsome face was full of smiles. He nodded at her.

After the big gates of Changning Count Residence was opened, there were a lot of guests who came to visit. From Xie Family, Old Madam's Xie's maternal family; Duke Qi Residence, and the families that were close to them. The members of the count residence and the concubine-born children were also present.

Many people came and went. It was very crowded.

Madam Zhang led her small daughter to greet the noble guests while the relatives from the count residence were given to her oldest daughter-in-law to entertain.

This was the first time Jiang Mingyao appeared in front of some many noble madams so it could not be helped that she felt a bit nervous, but her etiquette was impeccable, making others feel impressed.

Madam Zhang felt proud of this.

When Jiang Ningbao led her servants out, the people who were adding dowry all looked at her with awe in their eyes. They automatically knew that she must be Jiang fourth miss.

Jiang Ningbao smiled slightly to the crowd. Her movements were graceful and magnanimous, her smile was to point.

The noble madams sighed in praise.

As expected of the student taught by the two old servants. Her etiquette was perfect.

Madam Zhang's eyes flashed and then she came over with a smile. She pulled Jiang Ningbao's hand to see the guests. Under her mother's request, Jiang Mingyao stood together with her fourth sister.

Jiang Mingyao spoke with a soft voice, "Fourth sister, I'm sorry."

This apology had a lot of meaning.