Chapter 42.1 ~ Rank A

AN: Sorry for the late update >_< Was doing homework this morning so had I upload a few hours late. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapter XD

By regulating the mana flow in his body consciously and strengthening his body with magic, Leon managed to compensate for the difference in speed between him and Alex. However, they were still more or less equal and continue inflicting small wounds and scratches. Although the damage wasn't that significant, other people would die if they were to join in the fray.

Alex didn't slow down and was still attacking him with the same speed although the both of them were still holding back since it was an exhibition match. However, slowly but surely, Leon was pushing him back. All of Alex's attacks were countered almost immediately as if he predicted it all. Without giving him a chance to think, Leon continue pushing for the advantage.

Freya noticed this and although she didn't want to hurt Leon, she needed to help Alex this time. In this situation, the best option would be to stop Leon's rush or at least slow him down so Alex could regain advantage. Thus, she decided to fire another low powered <<Spell: Holy Javelin>> towards Leon.

This time, however, the spell wasn't casted. Leon fired several fireballs towards Freya before she could attack, forcing her to either dodge it or create a magic shield around her to defend against it. Either way, it interrupted her spell.

Alex didn't missed the opening Leon made when he was interrupting Freya and thrusted his sabers towards him. However, when he realized it, he pierced the air.

Leon moved away from his thrust just enough to not get hit by it, as if he knew the timing and the place of Alex's strike beforehand. Alex who was focusing on Leon's torso raised his sight to see him and was met Leon's eyes. He realized that Leon's attention was always on him, reading his every movements. Since Alex needed to watch Leon's each and every movement, he wasn't paying that much attention to his eyes, thus Leon was able to misdirect him. Even when Leon fired fireballs towards Freya, he only acted like he was focusing on her by turning his head slightly.

But in reality, his eyes were always on Alex and he didn't realized this. Leon used that fact, in addition to the fact that Alex was focusing on his torso, to bait Alex into thinking that he was showing an opening and make a rash decision.

Alex only realized after it was too late. Using the opening Alex made himself, Leon hit Alex's side with his sword hilt and kicked him. As Alex fell to the ground several meters away, he saw Leon rushing towards Freya. In addition to the distance made when Leon kicked him away, it was already impossible for him to reach her before Leon.

Freya tried to erect a magic shield, however it was interrupted by Leon's spell bombardments. Without any means of recovering in time nor Freya being able to defend herself against Leon, she closed her eyes and got ready to brace the impact.

However, she didn't felt anything, even after waiting for a few moments. She opened her eyes slowly to try and find out what happened and as she did, Leon flicked her forehead.

"Kya!"

More than hurting, she was surprised at Leon's sudden flick. Leon was smiling at her, trying to convey "good work" to her which flustered Freya and made her blush.

"It is my victory. Right guild master?"

Leon turned towards the speechless guild master whose mouth was agape, similar to the audiences behind him.

"A-Ah... The victor of this match is Leon Misteltein!"

Recovering from his daze, Gera announce the victor of the match followed by the sudden outburst of cheers from the crowds. The normal citizen were cheering for Leon while the adventurers were admiring his power. Seeing their reactions, Leon reached to the conclusion that there are other people who have similar level of strength or higher than the one he showed in the match. They were probably A rank adventurers. Otherwise, they would elicit fear from the unknown and powerful.

"As you can already see, I believe that their abilities would be beneficial for Crimson Lightning. In addition, we got along with them well. I believe there is no problem for Alex and Freya to join our party."

"Of course. In the first place, I propose this match to convince the other adventurers who were doubting their abilities. Then, let's go back to the guild and register them to your party. Also, I need to talk to you about something."

"I understand."

Crimson Lightning, including Alex and Freya went back to the guild along with Gera to register the two into the party. The other adventurers also came back to the guild but most of them immediately took a request and depart. It seemed that seeing the [Dark Hero]'s fight fired them up to improve themselves.

There were few adventurers who were not still in opposition for Alex and Freya joining Leon's party. Although the reason they spout was that Alex and Freya were not worthy to join the hero's party, their real reason was because they hated and envied Leon. It was nothing more than pure malice and Leon noticed this. He expected that there would be some adventurers who would bear ill will and envy towards him. It was the nature of human's greed. Though he was quite surprised that their number could be counted with one hand. He expected it to be much more than that.

After finishing the registration, Crimson Lightning, which now include Alex and Freya, and Gera went to the guild master's room. Gera wanted to relay the result of the guild masters' meeting to Leon and the rest of Crimson Lightning since they are the main topic of the meeting.

Gera asked them to take a sit as he sat down. However since there weren't enough seats for all 9 people, Alex, Rafael and Vyra volunteered to stand up. Leon did try to give Vyra his seat, but she rejected it because she wanted Leon to relax so he could concentrate more on the talk. Not able to reject her kindness Leon thanked her and took the sit.

"Now then, there are a few things that I need to tell you. Firstly, Leon. The guild masters have agreed on promoting you to rank A so we will increase the rank on your guild card later on."

"I understand."

"Hm? What's wrong? It's fine to be more happy you know? Rank A promotions are incredibly amazing and it proves that your strength is recognized by the guild masters."

"I don't particularly sought after it. I appreciate the fact that the guild masters recognized of my strength, however this was just to protect my friends and myself."

"I see."

Gera smiled. Although he was a bit disappointed that he didn't get to see the ever calm and composed Leon jumping and screaming in joy, he approved of the reason why Leon accepted the rank even if he didn't sought for it. As he pans towards the rest of the members of Crimson Lightning, he saw that they were similarly smiling at Leon.

"Hahaha. As expected of the [Dark Hero], what a noble reason."

"Please don't tease me. People start calling me that when I realized and I couldn't do anything about it."

"Doesn't it suits you? You guys also agree right?"

"I guess he is kinda dark sometimes."

"Yeah, especially with that black hair and clothing, he does look dark."

Rafael and Mia burst into laughter.

"I-I think you are heroic, Leon..."

"If I can give darling a title, I think [Freya's Darling] would be best."

"The term hero does suit my lie-... Leon perfectly."

"My brother is already my hero."

"See? All of them think so too."

"...Thank you."

Although he said that, Leon didn't think of himself as a hero. A hero was someone who would save others without expecting anything in return. He was different. There were things he expected in return. Information, money, new connections, favors. Although he had no choice back then if he wanted to save his friends, there were still things he could get in return.

Leon didn't scorn heroes. However he still failed to see the logic behind their actions. Unlike them, he wouldn't endanger him and/or his friends' life to save strangers without expecting some sort of equivalent compensation. That was just how Leon is.