Chapter 48.2 ~ Travelling with the Princess (1)

AN: Finally! The start of my new year holiday!!! But still have some assignments to complete... Hah... Well, hope this chapter would brighten up your day like it does to me~ Enjoy~~~

"As I thought, you are different from the others."

Aria said in a very low voice, almost like a whisper. Even Leon only heard a part of it faintly, though he knew it was about him.

"Pardon me?"

"Forgive me, I was talking to myself. I was very excited since this is the first time I was interested in a man."

Leon, Charlotte, and especially Iris were extremely surprised at Aria's statement. All of them looked at her who was smiling radiantly with widened eyes and disbelief of what she just said.

"Y-Y-Your highness?! Are you really?!"

She was the princess of Arcland. A woman of unparalleled beauty, extremely keen intellect, possesses talent in magic and an extremely kind, gentle and generous princess. She was an existence that men could only dream of. Countless noble sons, no matter their rank or consequences, have tried to court her in hopes to monopolize her beautiful smile for themselves. Even the position of being the princess of the nation's partner was a bonus compared to her smile.

"Of course I am, Iris. I am truly interested in Leon, and I would like to know more about him."

That princess just declared her interest in Leon. It would be stranger if no one was surprised. In fact, Iris's panic reaction was the normal one. Leon and Charlotte were also similarly surprised like Iris, but they only didn't act on it as much as her.

Leon immediately start speculating what the princess was scheming by declaring that. Judging by Iris's reaction, her saying this was the first time she got interested in a man was most probably true. By saying she was "interested" in Leon, she would already said the reason why she would want to meet him more often in the future. By increasing the number of interactions between them, she would have more chances to use Leon for her whims. Although it might seemed like her position as a princess would make meetings more difficult, in reality, it would make it harder for Leon to reject her invitation.

Charlotte puffed her cheeks and hugged Leon's arm as if trying to keep him from being taken by the princess.

It seems like Charlotte also thought of the same thi-... wait, does she?

She seemed serious but Charlotte looked like she was protecting him from an entirely different matter from what he thinks.

Leon's speculation was logical and based on his experience with high ranked business woman, it was the most plausible course of action for her. However for some reason, Leon felt like Charlotte was the right one.

Leon thought that if Aria's intention was as he theorize, Charlotte would be emanating bloodlust like when the leader of Crimson Spear ridiculed Leon. It was a rare case that Leon missed such a thing and it was thanks to Charlotte that he managed to realise it. He made a mental note to thank her later and buy her sweets when they reached the royal capital.

"What would you like to know about me, your highness?"

"First of all, I would like you to call me by my name."

"...Forgive me, but I wouldn't dare to do such rude thing."

"I was the one who asked you so it is fine. I want you to call me by my name, at least when we weren't in a public setting."

Leon was troubled by the princess's insistence and looked towards Iris, seeking for help. She was frozen for a moment right after the princess said that and then calmed herself after she seemed to realise something. When she met Leon's gaze, she smiled at him with a tinge of pink on her cheeks and nodded, urging him to accept it.

He thought Iris would help him convince the princess to not do such a thing, but instead, he got her assent. With no way out, Leon had no choice but to do as she wished.

"...I understand. Thank you for granting me the privilege of saying your name, Ms. Aria."

"Without the ms."

"...I-I understand, Aria."

"Ehehehe~"

Aria's smile was more radiant than ever when she finally had Leon say her name. Letting someone call her by her name was a sign that she liked that person and wanted to get closer to them on a personal level. Of course she made that decision after she looked at him with her unique spell to confirm his character.

That was also the reason why only two, including Leon, have ever passed her test. Although there were other people whose aura wasn't as filthy as those greedy and corrupt noblemen, they didn't pique her interest as much. Thus, she only maintained a friendly relationship with them.

In the meantime, Leon was confused. Having him call the princess by her name would show the level of intimacy between them. She might be trying to show off her intimacy with a rank A adventurer with the title [Dark Hero] to gain prestige and protection.

Nobles or criminal organizations who may try to harm her would think twice before doing so after knowing that the [Dark Hero] might get involved if they did. It was an extremely judicious move by the princess.

To be able to befriend a rank A adventurer and protect herself from other's malice with one move was very impressive.

However, that would be if she told him that he had to call her by her name in public, which was not the case. Instead, she told him that she wanted him to call her Aria at least when they were not in public and he was free to call her princess or your highness in public.

If that was the case, then wouldn't it defeat the purpose? Or did she has another plan in mind? Either way, Leon couldn't find the answer now so instead of pondering about it and wasting time, he decided to shelf this problem for later.

"Then, what would you like to know about me, Aria?"

The objectives now was to try and protect him and his friends from being exploited by the princess or the kingdom, try to gather information about the kingdom and about the mastermind behind the 'bandits' incident. Though it would be ideal to accomplish all of those, protecting his friends would be the main objective.

"Hm, there is a lot of questions that I want to ask about you. But since it would take a long time, I think it would be better if you ask me questions first. Please ask me anything."

He expected the princess to ask him first to discern his character. However, instead of trying to learn about his background or character first, Aria wanted him to ask her questions first. It was as if she wanted him to know more about her which was strange. Normally, you would want to collect as much information about the other person while trying to hide yours. But she was basically willing to give him information for free.

It was a very generous offer, but it made Leon even more cautious instead. She might even be baiting Leon into asking her about private matters to pin him down and make it easier to exploit him. Thus, it would be better to just ask her about the "bandit" incident. Since it was a case that would be over after this case is solved, she won't be able to tie him down.

"I understand. Then I will take up on your generous offer."