三 | 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐈

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

The morning of the fifth day after she appeared in the world of Death Note, (Y/N) stumbled out of bed groggily after turning off her alarm, yawning and stretching as she maneuvered toward the bathroom to wash her face, brush her hair, and slide on her uniform. Jogging downstairs after taking a glance at the time, she grabbed a piece of toast and slipped on her shoes before hurrying outside, stopping immediately in her tracks when realizing that someone—and something—was waiting for her.

Light turned around with a wave.

The tall and slouching Shinigami that went by the name of Ryuk also turned with the boy, he having a shock of black hair, pale—almost grey—skin, long arms that ended in sharp talons, and donning an all black suit with fur around his waist and shoulders, chains around it. What was most frightening about Ryuk, though, was his face: his lips were stretched into a smile that revealed sharp teeth while his yellow eyes glowed dangerously in the light.

He was the epitome of a God of Death.

"Good morning, (L/N)-san," Light greeted politely, not bothered at all about the floating God behind him.

"Good morning, Yagami-san," (Y/N) returned his greeting, trying very hard not to stare at Ryuk and wondering if touching the piece of the Death Note after Light was such a good idea after all.

If anything, she knew that if Light suspected her of being able to see Ryuk, then he'd realize that she would be able to make the connection that he was Kira—or will be Kira, as he wasn't donned the name just yet. But with that suspicion, though, all form of relationship that they had built would be broken, and Light would deem it fit that he would have no choice but to end her life at the stroke of his pen.

If that were to happen...

I wonder where I'll end up next? Or, will I be permanently dead?

The thought both worried and excited her.

Sliding her gaze to the corner of her eye, (Y/N) observed Light and the floating God of Death behind him, wondering just why he was going to such lengths to try and befriend her. Of course, to blind her to the truth that he was a serial killer, but even if he didn't put up this facade with her, wouldn't it have just been easier for him to disregard her existence altogether?

She tilted her head.

Then... does he actually trust me and see me as a friend? Or is he planning on using me?

"Yagami-san, what happened to that notebook I found?" She questioned casually, breaking the once comfortable silence between them. "It looked quite odd. If I remember correctly, it had the words 'Death Note' written on the cover. Was it a joke?"

She observed his reaction, but of course, his expression remained calm; not giving a hint at all to what he was thinking.

"No, I didn't find the owner," he answered lightly and smoothly, not once stuttering or giving a slip of tongue. "It was just a normal notebook, so I gave it to the front office."