二十六 | 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐓𝐇

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    The Kira investigation was practically halted to a standstill after the second Kira announced that they would no longer be taking part in looking for the original. What was more, despite the fact that some criminals died whose names weren't broadcasted but their faces were, there were countless others who died with both of those parts revealed. The Task Force couldn't tell whether if all of their deaths were the original Kira's doing, or only half of them while the rest were killed by the second Kira.

    It was frustrating.

    And Light was reveling in it.

    (Y/N), meanwhile, wasn't so grateful, currently drumming her fingers against the arm of the plush chair she was sitting in, the hotel room that faced her looking quite bland despite the handful of detectives and police officers within discussing Kira.

    She let out a long sigh.

    Well...

    I did expect this to happen.

    Without Misa, there's not a lot that L can do even if he suspects Light.

    Damn...

    Now I'm kinda hungry.

    "I'm gonna take a break," (Y/N) announced as she stood up with a stretch, her (E/C) meeting L's—and almost immediately, she knew that he wanted what she was wanting, as if he had actually spelled it out for her. "I'll get you a tart, L, since Watari is busy at the moment."

    "Thank you, (Y/N)" he smiled softly.

    Returning the look, she then shrugged on her coat before exiting the room and eventually hotel as a whole. nothing was to happen and relaxing quite a bit. She shivered slightly from the biting wind as she walked down the street, few people out despite the fact that it was well into the afternoon. Walking into a rather familiar bakery, the bells jingling overhead, (Y/N) graciously inhaled the delicious-smelling aroma before turning her attention to the person who had his back turned to her

    "Hey, Rin," she greeted as she leaned against the counter, her voice making the man jump in surprise and turn around with a pleased smile.

    "(Y/N)! Hi! What are you doing here?" He asked with a blink of his eyes.

    "I'm looking for a tart," she hummed as she eyed the specific treat on display, swallowing from how good it looked. "Ryuga and I were both craving the same thing while we were... studying, so I offered to get one for the both of us. I guess Light, too, if he wants some, but probably not. He's actually pretty particular about what he eats, did you know?"

    "Yeah..." Rin trailed off, hating how he felt a bit jealous of how close she was with the two boys.

    "Anyways... I think I'll get this one," she pointed to the tart she had been looking at, eagerly watching as Rin boxed up the sweet before glancing at her watch to find out that already too much time had passed. "Oh, wow. I need to get going." Taking the box after paying, she flashed him a smile as she said, "It's been nice talking to you Rin; we should hang out again sometime. Bye!"

    "Yeah, I'll call you when I'm free!" He shouted after her.

    And with that, she was gone.

    Rin deflated.

    He really did want to speak with her more—especially if it had been able to pull her away from both Light and L, or Ryuga, as he knew him. He'd just have to wait until next time to somehow capture her attention. And as Rin turned to attention another customer, (Y/N) was currently staring down at the screen of her phone, cringing from how many calls she had missed from L. And from how agitated he sounded, she could only exhale softly.

    I should've known.

    L is grumpy when he doesn't get his food.

    Hurrying back to the hotel, she walked in to find a very annoyed man suffering from sugar withdrawals.

    "Why are you so late?" L interrogated as he shot up from his chair, staring at her intensely with no visible change in his expression—his tone was the only thing she could use to conclude that his agitation from earlier was still very much present. "Who were you talking with? Did someone say anything suspicious to you? Were they male or female? Who was it?"

    "Remember Rin? From yesterday?" (Y/N) spoke as she pulled out the tart from its box. "His bakery was close to here, so I went there. We lost track of time while we were talking, so, sorry about that."

    His frown deepened.

    Nakashima Rin...

    I researched a couple things about him after our run in... and he doesn't strike me as particularly interesting, so what does (Y/N) see in him?

    He looked away.

    More like... why do I keep seeking out (Y/N)?

    I don't understand it.

    She is an enigma that I just can't wrap my head around, no matter how I analyze her.

And yet... it's different with her.

Now, why is that?

    L pondered over this new feeling until he was distracted by the sudden plate presented towards him, his eyes traveling upwards to (Y/N)'s face and how she smiled when handing him the tart. As he took the piece from her, he wondered if he was directing his attention towards her because of the lag in the Kira investigation. He knew this wasn't true as he had been curious about her even before then, but he wished to believe that it was.

    He couldn't be sidetracked.

    He had too much work.

    Too much responsibility.

    But the more he was around (Y/N), the more he wished to shed all of that.

    He liked being able to talk to her, being able to know her, and sometimes just being in her presence without having to talk. She understood him in that aspect, and although he didn't want to admit it, he knew that instead of seeing someone only defined by what little she knew of him, she merely saw him as a person who she wished to know.

    It made a warmth spread through him.

    And as he bit into the tart, he felt as if (Y/N) herself was sweeter.