六十六 | 𝐈𝐍𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    (Y/N) tapped her finger against her arm—her arms folded over her chest—as she watched Light and the rest of the Task Force go over the files of Rin's murder, all staring in aghast at what they were seeing. The photos were just as gruesome as she remembered, her lips twitching before she had to force herself to look away.

    "Was this... the new Kira's doing?" Matsuda asked in worry as he held two photos in his hands. "Is that why you're showing us this, Ryuzaki?"

    "No..." the detective responded, casually slurping his sugar-filled tea. "It wasn't."

    "I'm sorry, Ryuzaki, but why are you showing us something so disturbing then?" Aizawa then questioned in puzzlement. "Just how exactly does this tie back into the Kira investigation?"

    "Because..." L trailed off as he met met every single one of their eyes, the small 'ting' of his cup meeting the saucer heard before he continued. "Not only do I still suspect Yagami Light of being Kira, but I also suspect him of being behind the death of Nakashima Rin."

    "What the hell?" Aizawa abruptly stood up, glancing at Soichiro. "What are you even going on about, Ryuzaki?"

    "Yeah, it's starting to feel like you just want Light to be locked up," Matsuda added.

    "You're right," L responded. "I do."

    "That's ridiculous! What did Light ever do for you to point him out to be Kira, and now just straight up torture?" Matsuda exclaimed in disbelief before gesturing to Soichiro. "And what about the Chief? Have you ever thought about what he would feel like if you accused Light of this!?" His eyes then flicked towards Light in worry—his hair having fallen over his eyes to shadow any expression he would make—before turning back to L to continue, "So why? Why do you keep accusing him?"

    "I don't know."

    "You don't know, and yet you still suspect my son all because of a theory?" Soichiro finally stated, having heard all of this before, his voice already gruff yet lowering an octave as his fingers curled into balled up fists, his anger clearly showing on his twitching features.

    "Yes. I do."

    "Ryuzaki, that's—!" Soichiro was cut off by Light who suddenly stood up.

    "Dad, please," Light cut in, drawing everyone's attention immediately, his eyes dark while his lips pressed into a thin line. "It's fine."

Silence descended upon the room.

Tension was thick and tangible.

(Y/N) glanced between L and Light, then to the rest of the Task Force who brooded in their own minds. It was quite obvious that while they worked together as a team, what stitched them together was only by a loose thread that threatened to break at any moment. She knew that as soon as suspicions about Light increased, the thread would really snap—she just hoped to have more time until then.