五十 | 𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐑𝐘

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    "...Alright, Misa, I'm Kira, so in order to make you trust me and prove that I'm him, I'll stop killing criminals for the time being," Higuchi stated confidently over the recording that Misa had taken just as (Y/N) asked—not that the rest of the Task Force knew as they listened. "Then once you're fully convinced I'm the real thing, you and I can get married."

    The recording stopped.

    The Task Force, excluding L who was facing the computer and (Y/N), could only gape at the girl.

    "And so, based on what he said, Higuchi is Kira," Misa declared with a smile, smoothing out the wrinkles in her nurse's uniform that she had borrowed from her friend Nori to escape Mogi's surveillance and go out with Higuchi.

"So... Higuchi is Kira and the deaths Chief was worrying about will stop?" Matsuda gasped in relief upon hearing the news, referring to Soichiro. "That's amazing, Misa-Misa! Good job!"

     Misa smiled at the praise.

Then she looked towards (Y/N) nervously, brightening even more when given a smile.

(Y/N)'s attention was then drawn towards L who dropped a single sugar cube into his coffee, the dark liquid rippling upon impact until he began stirring the sweetener in. He looked unfocused, or at the very least, trying to process the events of the last hour. His dark eyes reflected an intensity as they usually did when thinking of Kira. However this time, there was something different as well. Licking his lips, traces of the coffee still present, L glanced up and met (Y/N)'s eyes.

They stared at each other for a moment.

"By the way, Amane, how exactly did you get Higuchi to confess?" L suddenly voiced, his stare never once wavering from (Y/N)'s own—as if telling her something else with his dark eyes.

"Easy—that guy is totally in love with me," Misa flipped a lock of her blonde hair behind her shoulder with a smug smile, remembering everything that (Y/N) had told her in the bathroom hours earlier. "All I had to do was tell him that I'd marry him if he was really Kira. Plus, I managed to convince him that I'm the second Kira." Her smile was one of innocence, her eyes light, but she was anything but, continuing, "I know you all told me to be careful, but I want to do everything I can to help (Y/N)."

"And while I do appreciate that Misa, you should be more careful," (Y/N) placed a hand on her shoulder. "However, this is what I'd call a victory more than anything, right, Ryuzaki?"

"Yes, I'd say it is," the detective hummed as he picked up a chocolate macaroon from the middle tier of the three-tiered roller tray that Watari wheeled out for him, holding it up to the light for a moment before placing it down on the table. "However, right now, we still don't know how Higuchi kills his victims, do we? Before we move to arrest him, I want to find that out." He placed two more macaroons on the table before flicking the chocolate one to watch as it knocked into the one opposite it before taking out the other opposite of that: a triangle operation, continuing, "We just need to come up with a plan to figure that out."