三十四 | 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐘

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    (Y/N) sat down at her desk in the small office of her home she had constructed after returning from her walk with L, her expression blank while the brown paper bag she had been holding sat stiffly in her lap. Maybe it was the fact that she was elated by L's words that she seemed to have such a hard time processing them, or maybe she had just never thought that he would say such things to her.

Swiveling around, she then locked eyes with Ryuk and his ever present smile stretching eerily across his face.

    "So, (Y/N)," he hummed, the dry sound grating in her ears since it was practically dripping with amusement. "I find it so interesting how humans can hide their true feeling while acting entirely different from what they want. I mean, you can easily save this 'L' character if you just hand him the Death Note, but you don't. And Light, or Kira, I guess, still walks free."

"Whatever do you mean, Ryuk?" The girl mused as she opened the bag to reveal a shiny red apple, his yellow eyes widening at the sight. "Surely you can't be insinuating what I'm thinking, right?"

"Of course not!" He immediately denied, his gaze still fixated on the fruit in her hand, though.

Her eyes narrowed.

But she still tossed him the apple anyways.

Ryuk happily snatched it out of the air and took a large bite, juice streaming down his chin before he gulped and wiped it away with a hand. It wasn't long before he had devoured the whole fruit, looking a bit buzzed after the fact. It only made sense due to the fact that to Ryuk, apples were like what drugs and alcohol were to humans—it created a nice high that he surely didn't want to come down from, and now he was addicted.

"Listen well, Ryuk, because I'm not going to repeat myself," (Y/N) spoke as she leaned forward. "I'm not going to use the Death Note, and I certainly don't care to do so. But then there's the problem with Misa who I know is now infatuated with him. So, what I want to know, is that if Light gains his memory back by touching another Death Note, will he be able to see you?"

    "No," he answered as he lumbered forward and snatched the bag from her hand so he could eat the rest of the apples within. "His memory might be regained, but he will only be able to see the Shinigami linked to that specific notebook."

(Y/N) exhaled softly.

She was relived.

She knew she was, because if Misa for some reason revealed the Death Note to Light and he regained his memory, he would never be able to link her to Ryuk suddenly taking back the notebook.

She drummed her fingers against her desk.

After the rather intimate moment with L, such an interaction only fueled her desire to have him live. She just couldn't sit by and watch him die, nor could she allow Light to continue his downwards spiral into the very thing he hated the most. Tucking a lock of her (H/L) hair behind her ear before picking up the notebook, she stared at it for a moment longer before hiding it back in its usual spot.

And just as she did, she sensed another presence appear behind her that made her whirl around, spotting Rem staring down at her intently.

"Guess this is becoming the norm, huh?" She hummed as she sat back down.

"Misa is infatuated with Yagami Light," Rem revealed the fact that (Y/N) already knew, her one yellow eye trembling in not very well concealed irritation. "With the real Kira."

"I know."

"And you're not going to do anything?"

"Of course I'm going to do something, but I needed to speak to you first before doing so, and now you're here," (Y/N) waved away the female Shinigami's words, her lips twitching upwards into a smirk. "I know of your feelings for Misa, and I'm sure she knows of them as well. But you can't let her use that to her advantage—especially when it's to try and meet Light, the original Kira. And I'm sure you don't want that, do you?"

"What exactly are you getting at, (L/N)(Y/N)?" Rem's one eye narrowed.

"I need to make Misa fear for her life, but I also needed to tell you in advance since I know you're very... protective over her," she continued with a rather sly smile. "If you act and persuade Misa that you won't intervene in her death, she'll stay away. And that way, she won't actually die. Don't you want that?"

"And how do I know that you won't try and kill Misa?" Rem mentioned.

"Everything I've done is to ensure that Light, L, and Misa survive—and you've seen to that yourself, so why would I go and ruin that by killing Misa?" (Y/N) chuckled to herself as she swayed back and forth in her chair. "Besides, I have no intention to actually use the Death Note. Unlike Light, I don't think I'd really want to go to nothing after death. And, I just have no need to kill anyone—at least, not yet."

"Hehe," Ryuk laughed wickedly.

He was certainly enjoying this interaction.

(Y/N) motioned with her hands that she was done speaking, gesturing to Rem to continuing, but the female Shinigami did nothing. All she did was stare at her with a rather scrutinizing gaze, as if she were wondering why she was listening to this human—even if it was for Misa's best interests.

"Very well," Rem finally exhaled.

"So... if Misa tries to approach me or Light again... you'll allow me to threaten her and make no attempt to intervene?" The girl laid out her terms simply.

"Correct."

"Thank you," (Y/N)'s grin split her face once more. "I'm glad we could reach this agreement."