八 | 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐓

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

"(L/N)-san?" Light blinked in surprise when seeing her standing on his porch after opening the door at the ringing of the doorbell, watching as she swept a lock of her (H/L) hair behind her ear. "What are you doing here?"

"You asked me out today, but I had to decline—I'm here with no real purpose other than to see you, I suppose," she shrugged.

    "I see," he seemed surprised by her answer, as if he wasn't expecting it in the least. "Then, there's no reason for me to deny your request. Please, come inside. We were just about to eat."

Walking with Light to the dining room, an already delicious spread of food lain out on the table, (Y/N) happily sat down with the boy, Sayu, and Sachiko. When asking about the whereabouts of Soichiro, the answer she was given that he had been pulling several all-nighters in the past week—an answer she had been expecting. After dinner, both Light and (Y/N) excused themselves to his room, ignoring Sayu who whistled at them.

"You're sister is charming, you know that?" (Y/N) chuckled softly as she flopped backwards onto Light's bed.

"Isn't she? Light hummed.

Ryuk, who had been accompanying them the entire time, grunted in a bored manner as he stood in the corner, pushed from his usual spot on the bed because of the girl. If the Shinigami were being honest, he had noticed that Light would allow (Y/N) to do as she pleased—something that he didn't do at all with others, especially after his ascension as the elusive killer known as Kira. And Ryuk knew that no matter how many times Light tried to deny it, the girl was becoming something to him.

She was getting under his skin.

The thought made Ryuk chuckle.

Light glanced at the Shinigami, finding his behavior strange, yet decided to brush it off since at the moment, he could do nothing about him with (Y/N) in the room with them.

"So, how was your date?"

"Hm?" He snapped to attention.

"Your date with Yuri?" (Y/N) continued as she rolled over so she was on her side facing him. "She texted some of her friends, who texted others, and then the information finally got to me. There wasn't any context other than you had a date planned with her to Spaceland, and something big had happened. What? Did you ask her to be your 'official' girlfriend, or something?"

"Would you be jealous if I said yes?" Light smirked, testing the waters.

"Well, maybe, maybe not," she shrugged with a lilting smile that made the boy raise a brow. "So? What did happen?"

"Not what you're expecting, that's for sure," he exhaled softly as he crossed his legs and leaned back in the chair that was next to his desk, a dark look brimming within his eyes that made the girl's lips want to twitch into a smile. "The bus me and Yuri were taking to Spaceland got hijacked."

"What? Are you serious?"

"Yes, so our 'date' ended early and went up in flames," Light finished. "So? Was that what you were expecting?"

"Not in the least," she shook her head.

Light chuckled at her seemingly nonchalant answer, finding it strange how her reaction was so laidback and at ease. He found that side of (Y/N) comforting in a way—she liked to pry since she was curious, but not to the point where it made others frustrated by her. In fact, the more he observed of her, the more he found that each and every word or action that she took was meticulous and calculated. It truly made him wonder just what was going on inside of her head.

    "Another... unexpected aspect to my little ousting today was that the bus jacker started to hallucinate and emptied his gun at whatever it was he saw," Light continued with a murmur. "After that, he stopped the bus, and ran out on the road. He didn't see the car coming. I'm sure you can connect the dots from there?"

    "Sounds like your day was quite eventful," (Y/N) merely mused, not even looking the least bit remorseful for the jacker's death.

    Light liked the thought of that.

    It meant that maybe, just like him, she shared the same ideals about criminals.

    "Heh, not like the day meant anything since your stalker wasn't even on the bus," Ryuk rasped, effectively souring Light's mood that had just been lifted by (Y/N)'s conversation—something he found strange yet decided to brush off. "A calculative risk you took that amounted to nothing, right? Well, it's not like the police know that Kira can kill in other ways beside a heart attack, so I guess you're okay. For now, at least, hehe."

    Light let out a breath from his nostrils.

    Sometimes, he really wanted to strangle his Shinigami.

    "You seem tired..." (Y/N) pointed out as she placed a hand to his forehead, his eyes widening at both the touch and having not realized that she had stood up. "You should get some rest, okay? I'll take my leave now, but you better not delve back into studying again. Promise me, okay?"

    "Yeah..." Light blinked.

    Her hand drew away from him.

    And for some reason, as he watched her leave, disappointment rushed through him.

    He quickly squashed the feeling, though.

    "Haha... just a part of your 'plan,' huh?" Ryuk cackled when noticing how affected the boy seemed by (Y/N), not caring in the slightest about the deadly glare the boy threw his way.

    And as Light began to prattle on that his only desire was to create a new world, (Y/N) was already back inside her house laying on her bed. Staring up at the ceiling, she went over the conversation she had with Raye Penber over and over again in her mind, wondering if she shouldn't have intervened at all and let him die. But then again, she had always found his and Naomi's situation tragic, so she wished to change that.

    Today is the twentieth of December... so that means if Light had met Raye, he would have tried to kill him in seven days.

    I wonder what will happen?