九 | 𝐆𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    (Y/N) had an inkling of a feeling that because no one from the task force was reported as suspicious by the FBI, they would return back to the United States without so much as a problem. As for Light, he wouldn't kill anyone since he didn't know either his stalker's name or face, and said stalker wasn't exactly stalking him anymore.

And just like she thought, she was right.

It made her wonder how that would impact the progression of events: more specifically, if the avoided deaths of the FBI wouldn't drive police officers away from the Kira case as it did the last time. The very reason the task force was shrunken down to the size it was, was because of the innate and tangible fear the officers held at the thought of Kira killing them as well.

So, she wondered.

But, wondering didn't get her far since she had no way of knowing what L was thinking.

But as the days passed and more criminals ended up dying with no significant change in the investigation, it seemed as if the deaths of the FBI agents originally had only strengthened the police officers' resolve to leave the case earlier rather than later. And now, due to how large and intimidating Kira seemed—as if an omniscient and god-like being was passing judgement on the world—many treaded cautiously around the subject of the killer. Naturally, that meant little wanted anything to do with the inspection of Kira.

So, the task force shrank.

And with that, (Y/N) knew that it wouldn't be long before L showed his face.

It excited her.

When she had first watched the show, she had found herself so entranced by his introduction and how well he had been able to pry open the mind of Light even when he hadn't met him in the first place. L was an enigma that she liked exploring when watching the anime, which meant that his death impacted her that much more. She would like to avoid such an ending if possible.

Settling her thoughts, (Y/N) smoothened out her uniform before walking out of her house and locking the door behind her.

"Good morning, (L/N)-san," Light greeted, having been waiting for her as usual.

    "Morning," she yawned.

    "Tired?"

    "Yeah. I didn't get much sleep last night."

    "Oh? Why not?"

    "Just couldn't."

    "Hopefully you won't fall asleep in class again," Light mentioned with a teasing grin on his face, his brown eyes highlighted with a type of lighthearted emotion that (Y/N) almost wasn't sure was real. "The teacher was quite upset when she caught you dozing in the middle of her lecture."