二十五 | 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    Walking into one of the bakeries near the To-Oh campus with L and Light, (Y/N) inhaled the fresh aroma of baked bread and pastries, along with assortments of sweets like cakes, chocolates, and fruit-related treats. It most literally looked like a heaven on earth, especially since the girl was craving something sweet.

    "Light? Is that you?" A voice called.

    The girl turned.

    Her eyes then widened when spotting a very attractive young man standing behind the register. He had tousled light brown hair that fell to his shoulders while some of it was pulled up into a half-bun, a few of the strands framing his slightly tanned face and hazel eyes brimming with kindness. And from what else (Y/N) could see, he had a nicely toned body that was obvious from the short-sleeved white shirt he wore covered by a black apron.

"Oh, Rin, hi," Light greeted the boy with a smile. "I didn't know you worked here."

"Well, have to make money somehow."

"Is this another friend of yours?" L inquired, looking not as interested in Rin compared to the shortcakes that were on display.

"Yes," Light affirmed. "Ryuga, (Y/N), this is Nakashima Rin. Rin, this is—"

"You don't have to introduce them," Rin waved away Light's words with a small chuckle, wiping his hands of what looked to be flour as his hazel eyes briefly glanced over L to then settle on (Y/N), his lips curving into a small smile. "I know of these two. They gave the freshman address with you at the beginning of the year, didn't they?"

"Yeah..." Light trailed off, his frown deepened when noticing Rin's stare on (Y/N).

What the...

The hell is he doing?

Finally noticing Light's rather burning glare, Rin cleared his throat as he awkwardly averted his eyes away from (Y/N). Said girl merely looked between the two boys with a raised brow, wondering why they suddenly seemed so hostile towards each other when they were so friendly but a moment ago. L, of course, didn't care much about the interaction, his dark gaze still pinned to the cake separated from him by a case of solid glass.

"Anyways... we'll have three pieces of that shortcake, please," (Y/N) stepped in as she pointed to the item L had been eyeing. "And can you box them up separately, please?"

"Of course," Rin was quick to jump to attention.

And from the way the tips of his ears burned red due to being able to speak to (Y/N), it was quite obvious why he did so.

Light's agitation only grew.

From above him, Ryuk cackled rather wickedly. The Shinigami had been staying silent whenever Light seemed to be distracted by L or (Y/N) or both, and that was because he was too busy watching everything unfold before him to do anything. And now there was one more addition to the problem that concerned Light Yagami—the need to vie for his dear friend (Y/N)'s attention which he so desperately sought and desired.

This is getting so interesting...

And just as this thought glanced through Ryuk's mind, Rin ringing (Y/N) up, the boy made his move.

    "Hey, um... (Y/N)? Would you mind if I asked you a quick question?" Rin asked after handing her the three boxes, his hand rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly that showed off the rippling of his muscles that several female customers were blatantly staring at with wide eyes. "I know we just met and it might seem a bit too forward or rude... but might I get your phone number?"

    "Huh?" The girl blinked.

    She seemed more surprised that he asked more than anything.

    But before she could even reply, both L's and Light's necks snapped upwards at the other's question. It was as if the same switch had flipped inside them that made them both yank her away from Rin and step in front of her.

"Sorry, Rin, we're a bit busy today," Light gave him a tight smile as his fingers curled into fists.

L merely stared at him.

It was a calculating and cold stare.

(Y/N) knowing immediately what was happening, couldn't help the smirk that threatened to spill across her features. Recognizing jealousy and hostility was something she had become quite good at picking out, especially since needing to uncover what someone was feeling was an aspect she had become quite good at in her previous life.

"Light, you know we're not that busy," (Y/N) gave him another pointed look as she moved past him to stand before Rin again. "Anyways, Rin, here's my number. Call me anytime."

Taking his offered phone and punching the digits in, she then handed it back with a smile before taking the three shortcakes and walking out the door with L and Light in tow. Of course, the two didn't leave without sending Rin another withering scowl that left the man wondering what he did, giving an awkward wave goodbye as he did so. However, as he looked down at his phone to (Y/N)'s number and her name, he couldn't help the soft smile he had nor the slight dusting of heat of his face.

    He had gotten what he wanted.

    That was all that mattered.

    And as Rin greeted the next customer with cheer, L's and Light's moods were quite the opposite.

    The two were used to hiding their emotions—and they did so quite easily. Yet, when it came to (Y/N), someone they hadn't expected at all, such a thing was hard to do. Light knew that letting his emotions get the best of him were a risk, and one that could bring about his downfall. He knew that if he threw all caution to the wind, he would lose.

    He had to be careful.

    He would still pursue (Y/N), but he knew that he had to make her think that it was her choice.

    That it was her all along.

    But in reality, it would be him.