二十一 | 𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐘

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

When a message—a diary entry, specifically—was sent from the second Kira, (Y/N) knew what she had to do. Currently standing in a lavish black-and-white themed hotel room that contained a crystal chandelier overhead, she tapped a finger against her arm that was crossed over her chest as she waited for Light to arrive.

    It wasn't long before he did.

"Hi, sorry I'm late," Light walked in whilst setting his coat on the back of a couch as he approached them. "What's this about a journal?"

"It's right here," L responded as he handed said paper over to the boy. "The entries are all from last year, but please take a look at the entry he made on the thirtieth. I'm sure you'll find it either as interesting or as ignorant as we did."

"Hm," Light hummed. "'Confirmed our Shinigami at the Tokyo Dome...' huh?"

"What do you think, Light?" (Y/N) then inquired as she stopped beside him, peering over his shoulder at the piece of paper. "The second Kira's intentions seem pretty clear. But, it's almost... too obvious. It makes me wonder if they aren't as foolish as I think they are when considering the possibility that there might be some deeper meaning hidden in another one of these messages."

"You might be right—it is too obvious," Light confirmed, already knowing that to be true.

    "But other than that... do you think it's real?" L asked as he stepped up beside them, his hands in his pockets while his eyes were in the boy.

    Light could only shrug.

"To be honest, it's so stupid," L then groaned as he walked away to sit down on the coach, popping a piece of chocolate in his mouth from the box that sat on the nearby table. "Mm. I'm not even sure how to deal with this whole situation anymore. If we make the diary public, we'll be forced to make some kind of televised announcement cancelling the game on the thirtieth. But if we don't broadcast it, we can be sure that the second Kira won't do anything. But then again, (Y/N) might be right."

"What if it isn't a fake? Wouldn't cancelling the game make him mad?" Matsuda questioned as he sat down opposite the detective, everyone else following suite. "There's no telling what he'll do."

"Frankly, that's not a concern. From what we have witnessed, it's safe to say the second Kira admires the real one and will continue to listen to our invented Kira. I say we make the journal public and air an announcement canceling the game, making it seem that we think that's where the second Kira will meet the original, all the while directing our attention elsewhere—mainly making an announcement of setting up checkpoints on all roads leading to the Tokyo Dome," L took a breath, turning his head forward. "In the meantime... we'll send a response from our invented Kira, something like 'I understand and I agree to meet you there."

"Ryuzaki, you don't honestly expect him to go there if we set up checkpoints around the Dome, do you?" Soichiro questioned as the other picked up the sugar-filled teacup.

"I don't think that Kira would even consider it, but the other one might," L took a sip of his tea before continuing. "It all depends on how stupid he really is. However, assuming he is not actually the idiot we think he is, (Y/N) might have a point thinking there could be another message hidden in this diary, one that's not so obvious. If there's a message here written in some code that only people with this Shinigami power can understand, there would be no way for me to decipher it."

"I guess that means we have to look into all the places mentioned in the journal, would it?" (Y/N) hummed in thought as she leaned back in her chair and crossed her legs. "That would make the most sense if the May thirtieth entry is a bust."

"Yes, that's right," L glanced over to look her up and down before directing his attention to the paper. "Let's see... the twenty-second, he's meeting a friend in Aoyama. The twenty-fourth, meeting another friend in Shibuya..." He looked up to the other before exclaiming, "We have to be prepared for the possibility that all of our efforts will be fruitless. Let's keep an eye out for people with notebooks in Aoyama, and people in clothing stores in Shibuya."

"I should probably go to Aoyama and Shibuya since I'd blend in with the crowd there, you know?" Matsuda suggested, sitting up and smiling.

"I'll go, too," (Y/N) was quick to pitch in before Light. "Two investigators is enough to cover those two spots, wouldn't you say, Ryuzaki?"

    "Yes, quite enough."

    She smirked.

    Sorry, Misa.

    No matter how badly you wish to meet Kira, I'm not going to let that happen.

    That way, you won't die.

    Rem won't die.

    And L won't die.

    It's a shame I won't be able to speak with you—we could've even become friends of some sort. But then again, it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

    "Are you sure it's really okay to send Matsuda and (Y/N) on their own?" Light leaned forward with worry reflected in his brown eyes—whether it was worry for his friend or for not being able to investigate what he wanted to, the girl didn't know. "What if the second Kira really were at one of those two locations? They could be killed."

    "And if more were to go, more would be killed," (Y/N) enunciated, hoping to dissuade any further cause for Light's argument.

    He looked at her in disbelief.

    "As much as I hate to admit it, (Y/N) is right," L glanced back and forth between her and Light, finding the latter's almost betrayal-like expression quite humorous, to say the least. "Although I do not particularly like to think of her dying, she has volunteered to go, and I commend her on her bravery."

    "Uh, I can't help but point out that you forgot about me, Ryuzaki," Matsuda chuckled awkwardly.

    The detective didn't say anything.

    He was far too focused on (Y/N) to do so.