二十四 | 𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

A week passed.

And from Misa: silence.

(Y/N) felt all too pleased about the fact.

Currently sitting under the shade of a cherry blossom tree at To-Oh with L, she allowed herself to enjoy the rather peaceful silence that had descended around her and the man. The only sounds really between them were the rustling of the leaves and the faded chatter in the background from the other students either leaving or going to class.

It was nice.

"What made you suddenly decide to come back to school, Ryuza— ahem, Ryuga," (Y/N) was quick to correct herself on his name as she turned her head ever so slightly to face him. "Not afraid anymore to go outside, huh?"

"I realized that as long as Light is not Kira, I should be safe," L answered back rather quickly as he took his thumb from his mouth, having been biting on the cuticle again. "The fact is, you and Light are the only ones on the outside who know me as L. In the likely event that I do die within the next few days, I've entrusted Mr. Yagami and everyone at Headquarters to assume that Light is Kira."

"Cold," she smirked.

"To ensure my survival, I must be."

Watching as he then picked at a strand of his hair, the book he had been holding in his hand dropping over one knee, (Y/N) tilted her head and smiled softly. If she were being honest, she was still amazed that she was talking to one of her favorite anime characters in the flesh.

No, he isn't a character anymore.

He's an actual person.

"You know, it is quite rude to stare at someone without saying anything," L spoke up, staring at her from the corner of his eye.

"Why would I not want to stare at you?" Her lips quirked up into a small smile.

"If that was supposed to be a joke, I'm not sure I got it," L dropped his hand as his owlish gaze finally turned back to her, the very way he looked at her so intently making her knees feel weak despite the fact that she was sitting down. "But then again, I'm not sure if it was intended as a joke."

"Does it matter if it is or isn't?" She waved her hand in the air.

"Maybe."

Chuckling, (Y/N)'s smile softened.

L's lips twitched at her vibrant expression.

But, unaware to them, Light had been walking towards and had seen the entire interaction between them. It left an unsettling and gnawing feeling in the pit of his stomach that he couldn't shake. His mind then took him back to the recurring dream he kept had of (Y/N)—of how he would always lean in and kiss her soft lips. So, to see another man with the woman he clearly desired—a fact he couldn't deny since he was having dreams about her—made a slow and steady darkness coil around his heart.

But then again, that darkness had always been there—(Y/N) was just the fuel to the fire.

Said girl then met his gaze.

He halted in his tracks. He had been spotted.

    "Hey, Light!" L waved with a smile after following where (Y/N) was looking, the look then dropping just as quickly into a flat line. "How's it going?"

    "How your face changes so quickly is hilarious, Ryuga," the girl simpered as she placed her hand  over her grin, unfortunately the amusement she held clear as day on her face that she couldn't hide from either of the two boys.

L's brows raised.

Light's eyes only narrowed.

    "What?" She gave both of them a pointed look to not question her on her actions.

    Neither said anything.

    "Anyways... what are you doing here?" Light questioned L, folding his arms over his chest. "Is it even okay for you to be out? Didn't you say you were afraid to appear in public?"

    "Like I told (Y/N), I was, but then I mentioned to your father and the Task Force that if I were to die by Kira's hands, then to have them assume that you were the one to do so," L blinked up at Light, watching as his expression changed to one of shock. "Besides, you told me yourself that you missed having me around at school. So I figured, why not come back for a little change of pace? As long as it doesn't kill me, college is a lot of fun."

    Light's expression smoothened out.

    Shaking his head with a slight scoff, he replied, "Well, you have me there. I guess I have to admit that without you around, intelligent conversation is hard to come by—besides (Y/N), of course."

    His smile was kind.

    But inside, he was seething.

    That was, until (Y/N) recaptured his attention.

    "Nothing liking insulting the other people that go here, Light," she shook her head as she stood up and patted him on the shoulder. "But anyways, now that you're here, should we go get something to eat?"

    "Yes," L replied, immediately slipping on his shoes so he too could stand. "That's perfect. I'm kinda craving shortcake right now."

    "Sure. Let's go," Light nodded as he fell into step beside them. "I have a break now, so I'm free."

    The boy's jaw tightened.

    I hate him.

    Just suddenly saying something like that—that if he's dead, I'm Kira...

    It's definitely a move I didn't see coming.

    And then there's (Y/N)...

    Just thinking about the way he looked at her... how he spoke to her... it makes me all the more want him dead.

 it makes me all the more want him dead