六十一 | 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐔𝐓𝐎𝐑

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    (Y/N)'s and L's eyes were both locked on the other as a type of hostile energy ran through the air—as it did with most disagreements. For L, he almost couldn't believe how vehemently the girl was trying to deny Light's involvement in Rin's murder. But then again, they had been close friends long before he stepped into the picture, a fact that made him highly irritated.

    Tapping his finger in rapid secession against the arm of his chair, L exhaled softly.

    "Explaining my thinking to you precisely in how I imagine would be too difficult to say, so I'll put this simply," L began, breaking the tense silence and eye contact so he could eat another sweet. "Light loves you. Rin loved you. Conflict."

    "Yes... but that would only work if Light actually loves me and if he were a murderer."

    Which he is...

    But not influenced by me.

    "I do not see why you are so opposed to the idea of him having feelings for you," L sucked the sugary particles off his finger that were left behind.

    "Because that would actually give him motive to do what you're saying," (Y/N) murmured, her eyes lingering on what the detective was doing before looking away, knowing that any and all kind of distractions in that moment had to be pushed to the farthest crevices of her mind.

    Light doesn't love me.

It is emotionally impossible for him to do so.

    But if he did...

    Then that would change everything, especially what I've worked hard to achieve.

    "What is this about, Ryuzaki?" Soichiro's voice soon broke through (Y/N)'s thoughts, making her head snap up and her eyes widen since she hadn't expected his presence in the least—she should have, though, since his son was included. "And why isn't Light allowed to join?"

"I suspect that Light has murdered a young man by the name of Nakashima Rin," L stated effortlessly as he gestured to the pictures and files before him. "Everything related to his case is all there."

What!?" Soichiro shouted, standing up abruptly from where he had sat down, glaring angrily at the detective. "You suspect Light of being Kira and now of being an outright murderer?"

    "Yes," L whispered in answer.

Thick silence descended upon the room.

    Soichiro's glare was sharp and precise, the sterile white light from above bouncing off of his glasses and making him look all the more intimidating. As a police officer, he couldn't deny that the circumstances regarding Rin's death were suspicious, but as a father, he couldn't ever see his son committing such horrendous acts. He just couldn't think of it—wouldn't even entertain such an idea since it went against everything he believed.