四十 | 𝐔𝐑𝐆𝐄𝐒

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    The next day, the air was quite obviously tense in Task Force Headquarters.

    Aizawa had abruptly quit due to the police no longer being involved in the Kira case. If he didn't, it would have cost him his job, and he couldn't afford that due to having to take care of his family—his wife and young daughter who he barely got to see anymore. And when he left, his words weighed heavily on everyone's mind. (Y/N) knew that this event would be coming, however, she still wasn't quite sure how to handle the situation, or how to try and break the stretched silence.

    Fiddling with her pen, she breathed out a long sigh through her nose, catching L's attention.

    He was sitting right next to her staring mutely at one of his computer monitors, his hand having been reaching for one of the bright red cherries from the bowl in front of him. Yet, his hand stilled when hearing (Y/N), his eyebrows raising before he rolled his chair over to her. Leaning over her shoulder, he saw that she hadn't particularly done anything substantial, but then again, neither did he.

"(Y/N)."

"Yes?" She jumped, startled when he spoke suddenly, especially when it was so close to her.

"What are you doing?"

    "Nothing, really," she answered honestly whilst leaning back in her chair. "I'm just thinking about what Mr. Aizawa said. He's a good guy, but it's sad to see him have to debate that choice. I know he wanted to help catch Kira."

    "Yes," L placed his thumb to his lips. "The timing was incredibly horrible. Kira just started killing again: a criminal by the name of Shinsuke Ishida was killed last night at 11:35 by a sudden heart attack. His arrest was only a two days prior, and his crime was the murder and dismemberment of his wife and grown child. A horrible deed. One that I'm sure Kira wanted justice for."

    "Oh?" Ryuk cackled from beside her. "Looks like your little experiment worked. Hehe. Even I didn't know that little trick about the Death Nots."

(Y/N) gave a small smile.

But inside, her smile was quite wide.

When watching the anime, it was never revealed by the creator of the manga or by Light in the actual series whether copies of the Death Note pages would work. (Y/N) truly wanted to know for what she was planning, and even if it hadn't worked, she had already made a backup plan. Now, all that she needed to do was enact such a plan.

And she really couldn't wait.

"Hey," L's face was now the only thing in her line of sight, her eyes widening. "What are you thinking about so intently, hm?"

    "Why?" She chuckled, shifting awkwardly.

    "No reason," he muttered, his gaze never once wavering from her own—something that allowed her to glimpse something dark and saturated within his eyes. "You just seemed so focused even though I'm right beside you. It truly makes me want to know just what goes on in that head of yours. I've always been curious. You are unlike any other person I met in regards of how... detached you seem from everything around you."

    "Is that your perception of me?" She smirked.

    "Yes..." he gave a subtle nod, his lips twitching ever so slightly. "Yes, it is..."

    Running a hand through her (H/L) hair before running her fingers down the nape of her neck, laughing softly, (Y/N) then leaned forward and place a finger under L's chin, the touch sending a pleasing jolt throughout his body. Her smile was wicked, her eyes curved upwards in amusement, and since they were alone, this was the first breakage in her otherwise cool personality that he had seen.

    "I like you, L," she practically crooned, honey dripping from her words. "I really do. But, I don't think you should know what goes on in my mind."

    "I'm not afraid, if that's why you're saying this," L spoke stiffly, her touch distracting him.

    And all too soon she retracted her hand.

    "That's not what I'm saying at all," (Y/N) shrugged before standing up with a stretch, seemingly looking unaffected by their brief yet tension-riddled encounter. "I'm just not sure you would want to know, is all. Anyways, I have to get to a lecture back at To-Oh, so I'll see you tomorrow, Ryuzaki."

    And with that, she was gone.

    Far too soon for his liking, she had left, but there was nothing that he could do about that.

    There was something about the way (Y/N) spoke and acted that crawled through his mind like a disease and took over every natural instinct and thought within him. This wasn't supposed to happen to him: becoming so fixated on one person that he was distracted by his responsibilities. This wasn't supposed to happen at all, yet it did. The more he was around (Y/N), the more he found himself swept up in her very presence.

    He almost couldn't take it sometimes.

    When (Y/N) had gotten hurt because of him, he felt like cutting off his own hands for doing so.

    It was strange.

    But such urges only continued to grow.

    Whenever Light was too close to her, whenever any other person was too close to her, L felt as if he had to eliminate them quickly before they became a threat to him.

    It was wrong.

    It was so very wrong.

    During those late nights when he couldn't sleep, he would stay awake for hours on end thinking about how it would feel to choke the life out of someone he deemed unnecessary in (Y/N)'s life. The more he thought about such acts of violence and death, the more he wondered if he was like Kira. And it was all because of a very specific reason: he liked such fantasies.

    He wanted to see those people.

    And there was one person in particular he wanted to suffer most of all: Light Yagami.

    L's eyes narrowed.

    His expression was cold, deadly, precise. For the only reason he wanted to kill Light was so (Y/N) could only ever focus on him.

    And him only.