十九 | 𝐑𝐄𝐏𝐋𝐘

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    (Y/N) sat across from Light finalizing the script that L had assigned them to make in reply to the copycat Kira, glancing over the part where he wrote to kill the detective. She exhaled softly as she gazed at Light noticing how the corner of his mouth was pulled up into a small smirk ever so slightly—something no one would notice unless they were looking for it.

"Hey. Light."

    "Yes?"

    "You should omit this part right here," she commented, pointing down at said part in question.

    "Hm... hey, Ryuzaki, does this look okay?" Light turned to L who was currently crouching on the couch next to them. "I think we managed to make it believable, but (Y/N) was unsure about this part. What do you think?"

    "I think you guys have done an excellent job on this, but (Y/N) is correct," he voiced after scanning the paper. "If we don't omit the part that says, 'You're free to kill L,' then I'm gonna end up dead."

    "Uh, sorry," Light laughed awkwardly whilst rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. "I guess I got carried away playing the part. I figured if I was Kira, I'd probably demand that you be killed. I was improvising. Feel free to change it to whatever you like, please."

    "Sounds good," L glanced between the both of them before turning and walking over to Aizawa. "Okay, Aihara, the script is ready. I'll leave it to you."

    Once again, the video was sent to the TV station, and once again, all watched as it aired. And when it was finally over, the only thing left to do being to wait for a response, (Y/N) let out a slow exhale of breath while the rest of the Task Force save for L exited the space. She had been able to lose some of her annoyance towards Rem, however it wasn't gone completely—and one could visibly see that she had been irritated more often than not. But of course, at the same time, that irritability wasn't all directed towards Rem and Misa.

    "(Y/N)?" L suddenly spoke, forcing her to turn and look up at him.

    She didn't speak.

    She merely looked at him—but it was confirmation enough that she would listen to whatever it was that he had to say, taking a step forward to exclaimed, "Correct me if I'm wrong, but have I offended you in some way?"

    She scoffed.

    He raised a brow.

    "Offended isn't the right word," she merely shook her head as she turned back around to face the TV screen, having hadn't moved from her seat. "More like... I'm cautious around you now that you know of my past. As someone I admire, I didn't want you to ever look into such drudgery. I wanted you to see... the better aspects of myself and my life. But what's the point of it now? You already know everything."

    L blinked.

    Now...

    That is certainly not an answer I expected.

   "I don't necessarily see your past as a bad thing," L shook his head as he sat down in the plush cushioned chair beside her. "In fact, if I were to have it my way, I would rather someone I admire know of me too—the good and the bad. It would make me feel... closer to them, somehow."

    (Y/N)'s eyes widened slightly at his insinuations.

    But before she could say anything, the rest of the Task Force—including Light—returned. When they did, the room was silent despite L and (Y/N) sitting right next to each other. But, contrary to their expectations, there didn't seem to be any lingering hostility or tension between the two of them—instead a type of clarity that made them all sigh in relief.

    All but one.

    And Light wasn't sure why, but the thought of L and (Y/N) becoming close didn't sit well with him.

    Not in the least.

    And his aggravation only grew when—and after moving to a different hotel—the second Kira gave their reply. All they stated was that they would follow the first Kira's orders, and then revealed critical information about Shinigami and the eyes that Death Note holders could possess. Needless to say, all the second Kira was amounting to be was but a liability for Light, one that he was sure he didn't want to live for much longer regardless of the abilities that they possessed.

    So... he's a liability, huh?

    Dammit.

    "This isn't good..." L muttered to himself from where he sat, his heart rate however spiking at the mention of such improbabilities as Shinigami. "If this were all one person, it would be easier to catch them. But it's impossible to say that now. If the two Kira's were connected, I don't think this imposter would be so willing to give up on his plan to kill me, suggesting that the copycat has his own agenda and is acting independently of the first. I believe his actual motivation is to meet the original."

    "I think you're right," Light agreed, sifting one finger through his bangs. "He's acting out of an interest in Kira. The word 'Shinigami' could very well be some reference to their killing power—confirming their identities by somehow demonstrating their abilities."

    "All we need now is to just convince this copycat to tell us what that is," L murmured.

    "So, will you respond and force him to be more specific?" Light queried whilst raising a brow. "We have to be careful how we handle this since we can't make it too obvious that we're asking. Otherwise, he'll realize we're not Kira."

    "No," L shook his head, for some reason his eyes flicking to (Y/N). "From now on... it's best that we leave it up to the two Kira's."