Destiny pt.3

Two Months Later...........

Time apart was heavily prescribed—time to recenter and focus on the essential qualities of a relationship. Trust being number one, with communication coming second. The two young adults had lost their ability to communicate openly.  Without communication, there was no trust, and without trust, there was no them.

His mind had been discombobulated after the final night he had with Olivia. Spencer questioned every wrong move and how he could have done things differently. Even giving her space, he still managed to do little things for Olivia. In the mornings, he was leaving her coffee order outside her doorstep. Or taping sentimental notes on the door and simply having flowers delivered to her job. Spencer wanted to show he was all in for getting a second chance. He was even reaching out to an old friend.

"How are you feeling this morning, Spencer?" The older man looked in his direction.

"Good, I guess." Sliding his sweaty palms down his pant legs. "We've got some dope ass recruits joining the team. Classes are going great. I spent last weekend In Oakland with my mom and stepdad. Things are good."

"Glad to hear things with football and classes are going well for you. Let's focus on your relationships. Is that aspect of your life going well?" Dr. Spears voiced.

"I don't know. I still haven't had a chance to talk to Liv. I've been doing little things for her. Showing her that I still care. If you haven't read her article about Coach Garrett, you should. It's a masterpiece." He smiles slightly to himself.

"Sounds like you're proud of her." Spears smiled, seeing the twinkle in Spencer's eyes whenever Olivia was the topic of conversation.

"I am. She worked her ass off for this moment. Everything great that's coming her way, she deserves it. Liv deserves to be happy." He silently spoke his last statement looking down at his hands before drawing his attention to Dr.Spears.

"Do you feel she deserves to be happy with you? I know Olivia is a sensitive topic, so take your time."

"I would hope her happiness is with me. She deserves to be happy with me, but I messed that up. Not reading between the lines with the things she said. Just taking whatever she was speaking and running with it instead of listening."

"You broke up with Olivia because of the article, and you felt like you were the reason her light was dimming."

"Something like that."

"But somehow, you're overjoyed with her latest accomplishment on an article that you seemed to be against her doing."

"I wasn't entirely against it. I saw how the Wade article affected us, and I didn't want that for us again."

"Interesting. Some wouldn't be overjoyed for someone accomplishing something that came between their relationship. They would seem resentful. And from our past conversations, you're not bitter toward Olivia and her accomplishment on this article. I think there's an underlying issue of why you ended a relationship you've wanted for the past two years."

"Doc, are you trying to say I have another stuck point?"

"Maybe, maybe not. Something's holding you back from thinking someone can really put you first. I believe I know what, or shall I say, who is your stuck point in relationships."

Olivia engulfed herself in school and work. With lots of guts and courage, her story on Coach Garrett managed to be front page worthy of the LA Tribune. She even gained the attention of different sports broadcasting outlets. The outpour of support and love filled her heart, knowing she made her family and friends proud. Her coworkers at the Tribune threw her a small gathering to celebrate her first big story. JJ suggested the vortex having a big party for her, but she quickly objected to the idea. Besides the many congratulations, the one that stood out the most was the least expected one. It was expected, but not all the way.