Mine (Pt.1)

Tick Tock Tick Tock

It was ticking away on the wall. The only sound heard inside the faint room. Besides the increasing heartbeat out of one's chest. Visible nerves and sweat drenched the pale face. Her hand trembled, holding onto the slim object and awaiting her fate. Two outcomes determine the next move from here. One minute goes by, then another minute until the phone alarm puts the young woman out of her misery.

She was squeezing her eyes shut and keeping them tight as possible and inhaling and exhaling one big bated breath and squinting her eyes open.

Positive.

One word. One meaning. One understanding. Olivia Baker's whole world flipped upside down in five minutes. The heated waterworks ran down her damp face. Holding in her silent sobs to keep her roommates from hearing. She cried for this new life. Cried for her broken heart. She cried until she couldn't cry anymore. Silently rocking back and forth, finding some warmth and comfort.

Liv stared at the long paragraph she had typed out to Spencer. Debating with her heart and mind on whether to press send, her heart won the battle. She deleted the paragraph and locked her phone. What she thought was a night of closure had now turned into a lifetime.

Olivia sat inside the white-colored four-wall room in anticipation. She wanted explicit confirmation that the results weren't a false positive but a true positive. There would be no reason to blow up someone's world if the results were wrong. Only to be hit with the truth that the results were indeed positive. She scheduled a full-on appointment next week. This gave her enough time to work up the courage to tell the baby's father.

Her knuckles turned fifty shades of white as she found the strength to knock. Holding her breath in hopes that he wouldn't open the door. She could turn and walk away and act like she was never there. She could hold onto this secret long as she possibly could. Or she could face the music and put on her big girl pants. The door flung open only to reveal her twin.

"What's up, Liv?"

"Hey. I was wondering if Spencer was here."

"Naw, he's out with" Jordan stopped himself from saying the name. A name that wasn't dared to be spoken in her presence or near.

"Right. He's with her."

Jordan noticed Olivia's tone of voice had changed when he said Spencer was out with someone else.

"Hey, how about you come in? We can watch dumb movies and catch up—just the two of us. Twin time."

Olivia didn't want to be alone right now. Technically she wasn't alone. She gave her twin a reassuring smile before stepping inside—the comfort of the beach house living room filled with laughter. The twins reflected on the good ole days.

"Dad was so pissed at us."

"More so you. You're the one who added glitter to his Super Bowl trophy."

"I just wanted to show off my artistic skills."

Jordan chuckled and took another sip of his drink.

"I can only imagine the chaos our kids will get into."

The mention of kids causes Olivia's stomach to turn into knots. She cleared her throat and looked around the room.

"Yeah. How's everything going for you this semester? It feels like we barely see or speak to each other."

"The semester is great. More time to relax with it being off-season. How's the article coming along? I know it's your precious baby."

Yeah, it is, but it's not her only baby.