2.2- Repulse Bay

This place is quite famous among the locals. As soon as the driver heard the word Repulse Bay, the first thing he said was, "Miss, are you looking for someone?"

    She smiled weakly.

    "Don't go alone," the driver said again, looking at her chest, half-smiling, "You'll be scared. How about I accompany you?"

"No!" Min Hui stared fiercely. She glanced at him, threw the car money to him, and got out of the car angrily.

    "What a stinky temper, do you have a ghost?" the driver said in a strange way behind her.

    "If you talk nonsense again, I'll call the police!" Min Hui took out her mobile phone, and the driver hurried away.

    Repulse Bay is a quiet river bend. After the water turns around here, it is blocked by rocks and suddenly slows down. The water is very dirty, and there are many garbage and sundries washed down from the upstream.

    There was a tent by the river, and a stubble-bearded man was squatting by the water and brushing his teeth, with a towel on his shoulders, he seemed to be in his early fifties. Min Hui didn't know what he was here for, so after saying "good morning" to him, she walked around the river bend by herself, watching as she walked.

    Finding nothing, she returned to the tent. The man was sitting on a rock smoking a cigarette, and when he saw her coming, he suddenly asked, "Did you find it?"

    Min Hui sighed deeply, shook her head, and looked at each other with pale faces.

    "Uncle, how long have you been waiting here?"

    "Five days."

    "Who are you waiting for?"

    "Wife."

    Seeing his miserable face, she didn't ask further.

    "What about you? Who are you waiting for?"

 Min Hui was dumbfounded, and couldn't find a suitable word to describe the relationship between Chun Miao and herself:friend? companion? acquaintance? Same seat?

    "My sister."

    The uncle didn't ask any further questions, just let out a "hmm" and continued to smoke.

    ***

    Min Hui waited in Repulse Bay for three days, but didn't go at night, so she asked her uncle to keep an eye on him.

    When she went back on the morning of the fourth day, she found that the uncle was collecting the tent.

    "Auntie found it?" she asked.

    "No." The uncle's voice was a little hoarse. He quickly rolled the flattened tent into a big bag and threw paper money into a small fire, "I won't find it. There are two children at home. It's over. It's been so long, she should... be gone."

    Min Hui looked at him silently, unable to think of any words of comfort.

    "A female corpse floated down from the other side of the river in the morning. She has changed. She looks quite young in clothes. I tied her to that tree. Would you like to go and see?"

   Min Hui's heart skipped a beat and she turned around. She ran towards the tree and was grabbed by the uncle. 

  He picked up a long iron hook from the ground: "I'll go with you. If it's really your sister, it's going to be a lot of work to drag it up."

    The body was floating on its back, among a pile of colorful rubbish. The limbs are open, the top is rolled up, revealing the pale green skin, the lower body is a red and white checked mini skirt, and the long hair is floating in the water.