Chapter 266 ~ Visiting the Brides' Families

"I see... So you've finally done it."

"Yes."

"D-Dear father..."

A tense silence filled the private meeting room within the inner chambers of the royal castle.

His royal majesty, Arthur von Arcland, who sat at the top of the long, rectangular, marble table, set his gaze upon Leon, who was sitting adjacent to him.

Her royal majesty, Seara von Arcland. His royal highness. Alviss von Arcland. The royal guards' commander, Verand von Varya. And the head of the royal court magicians, Julia von Perlia. All of them also set their gaze towards him in shock.

No... They knew this would happen eventually. It was inevitable. But it was still... surprising.

Sitting to Leon's right, opposite of her brother, Aria looked at her father nervously. And similarly, Iris was also looking at her own father nervously.

Arthur raised to his feet and walked to Leon's side. And with a solemn look, he placed his hands on Leon's shoulder.

"Take care of my previous daughter. I will not forgive you if you fail to make her happy."

"I swear it upon my life."

Arthur nodded. His lips curled up into a smile before he walked towards his daughter Aria, who was already on the brink of tears.

"F-Father..."

He pulled her into a gentle embrace, wrapping his arms around her lithe body.

"I wish you happiness, my dear daughter. You might have grown to become the greatest princess to have ever lived in the history of our kingdom. But to me, you are still my dear, lovely, little Aria, and you will always be. Your happiness is everything, and if you will be happy with Leon, then I will support you. You may have gained a new family and a new home. But remember that this will still be your home, and we will still be a family. So don't be afraid to pursue your happiness. Because you will always have a home to return to. Aria, my dear daughter. I love you."

"Father... Yes! Thank you! I love you as well!!!"

For the first time in her life, Aria's voice broke and tears began to stream down her face as she hugged her father tightly.

"Iris."

"Y-Yes, father..."

Iris raised to her feet immediately with her back straight as Verand approached and stood before her.

Her eyes trembling nervously as she held her tears back with every shed of will she could muster.

"Ever since you were young, you have always been devoted to the sword and to your duty as the knight of the crown princess. You are the pride of our family. And yet, I could never stop worrying about you. Afraid that you will not find your own happiness."

"F-Father...?"

The solemn expression on the great commander of the royal guards disappeared, replaced by a fatherly smile.

"But the moment I saw your expression when you were with him, I knew that all my worries would disappear in due time. And it did."

"*Sobs* Father..."

"The strength gained from training could only get you so far. To attain true strength, you need to have something to protect. And you have finally found something to protect. You have finally found your own happiness. Protect it with everything you have."

"Yes!"

Iris saluted before her father, just like a knight upon receiving orders. But, her knightly front quickly broke down as she burst into tears as she fell into his embrace, crying loudly in his chest.