Chapter 2

Suddenly, there was a splash of water as a silhouette broke through the surface. It was the middle-aged woman who had leapt to the rescue.

She held a small child in her arms. His face was pale and his eyes were tightly shut. She also dragged another person in her other hand. It was the already unconscious Ying'er. Yan Yan hurried over with Yan'er and scrambled to lift the child out before pulling Ying'er ashore.

"Ah Mo, Ah Mo....."

Only now did Yan Yan, who had been constantly panicked and afraid, shed her tears, shaking the already deeply unconscious Yan Mo nonstop.
"Don't panic, third miss. Let Lady Hui take a look."
That middle-aged woman pulled herself from the water and came to Yan Yan's side. Despite being thoroughly soaked, she was neither panicked nor flustered, and still had a steady and elegant demeanor.

"Aunt Hui, you have to help me save Ah Mo....."

Lady Hui lifted Yan Mo's frail little body and lay him on the ground. She placed both hands on his chest and pressed twice. Yan Mo suddenly spat out some lake water from his little mouth. Lady Hui pressed again but no more water was expelled. She furrowed her willow brows, lifted him up and seated herself on the ground. She curled one knee slightly, and placed Yan Mo face down, his stomach resting on her knee. She exerted force with both her hand and knee at the same time. After a few rounds of this, Yan Mo suddenly expelled a large amount of water.

After Yan Mo spat out the water from his lungs, Lady Hui patted his back. The sound of coughing rang out. When he was flipped over, Yan Mo's eyes were half opened.

"Big sister....."

"Ah Mo, you scared your big sis to death....."

"Mo'er, Mo'er, my Mo'er. What happened here?"

A fragrant wind blew over, announcing the arrival of the Weiyuan Marquis's madam Shen Yi Yao who had heard about the situation and hurried over.

Shen Yi Yao wore a pale green lotus-patterned buttoned jacket paired with a light purple gauze embroidered skirt. Her hair was done in a bun and pinned in place with a pair of hairpins that had ornamental swallows with pearls in their beaks. She was clearly a beauty, with her oval face, almond-shaped eyes and cherry lips. At this moment, her eyes were filled with terror and her face was moist with tears.

Seeing her drenched son's frail appearance, she forced herself over and pulled him into her arms.
"Mo'er, you scared your mother to death....."

On the other side, the maids and grannies who had come along with Shen Yi Yao were taking control of the scene, ordering people to fish up all those still in the water. Some were only in the water for a brief period of time, and were merely soaked, their faces ashen with fright. Others were in the water for a while, and were unconscious.

Lady Hui had released Yan Mo and went to save Ying'er. Before long, she woke up as well.

"Aiya. What's going on here?"

A sweet, feminine voice sounded out. The one who came was the Weiyuan Marquis's senior concubine, Concubine Pei.

Concubine Pei appeared to be in her late twenties. She had a heart-shaped face, willow brows and a pair of limpid eyes. Her appearance was moving and lovely. She wore a two-colored gown embroidered with golden flowers paired with a lilac skirt. A blue silk waistband with a ruyi symbol pinched her narrow waist tightly, making her figure seem even more slender. Her hair was also done in a bun, pinned with a single white jade hairpin. She appeared exquisite and refined, like a lotus flower breaking the water surface.

Seeing Concubine Pei arrive, the maids and grannies by third young master Yan Hong's side looked as though their own mother had arrived. They had been trembling just a moment ago, their expressions nervous, but now they all rushed up and started tattling.