Chapter 3

Hearing these words, Yan Yan's anger flared.
She gripped the corner of her clothes tightly and suppressed her temper: "Even if he was being naughty, shouldn't he come apologize and admit his mistake after accidentally pushing his brother into the lake?"

Before Yan Yan finished speaking, Fang Cao spoke on the side: "Concubine Pei did send someone over to check on the situation, but since things were too chaotic, this servant arranged for them to go back."

Yan Yan glanced at her and smiled coldly: "What great prestige you have, even greater than your mistress. You made arrangements before the mistress even said anything?"

Fang Cao lowered her head and appeared timid, "This servant doesn't dare...."

Shen Yi Yao really couldn't get used to seeing her daughter's eccentric behavior. She frowned and wanted to speak, but was interrupted by Yan Yan.

"Matron Qin, you speak. Tell us whether it was an accident due to mischief, or if it was on purpose. Also, did all those maids and grannies by Yan Hong's side truly try to help at that time? It's best if you can describe things in detail, in case someone tries to obscure the facts. You are elderly, and have always been attentive and earnest. You've also taken care of Ah Mo for such a long time. Since no one believes Yan'er and Ying'er's words, you should be the one to speak."

"Yes, third miss."

"Since the weather was nice today and it wasn't too hot, the fourth young master said he wanted to play in the garden. This servant took him, Yan'er and Ying'er to the garden. The fourth young master wanted to play by the water but this servant wouldn't let him. In the end, he wouldn't be convinced. However, he was always obedient and well-behaved, and didn't get too close to the lake. He merely stood there and watched the water. The third young master came at that time...."

".....the fourth young master held a small wooden horse that third miss gifted to him. The third young master wanted it but the fourth young master didn't want to hand it over. The third yang master went up to snatch it.....us servants tried to block him but the third young master had his servants hold us down before going to struggle with the fourth young master....after the fourth young master fell into the water, everyone watching was scared silly. This servant yelled at them to help but no one moved. In my helplessness, this servant couldn't only run out and yell that "fourth young master has fallen into the water"...."

Yan Yan had been brought over by Matron Qin at that time since her pavilion was the closest to the garden.

After Matron Qin finished speaking, Ying'er and Yan'er both added a few words. The room fell silent.
Shen Yi Yao's expression turned rigid. She grasped her handkerchief as she stood up, her voice filled with anger: "You are all telling the truth?"

"Madam, every word."

"Fang Cao, go call the third young master and Concubine Pei over!"

Fang Cao slightly froze before lowering her head and said: "Yes."

Afraid to disturb Yan Mo, the group moved to the living room. As they walked, Yan Yan gave Shen Yi Yao a glance and her brows remained furrowed.
Concubine Pei was quickly summoned over as well as the third young master Yan Hong.

She bent her waist respectfully at Shen Yi Yao and saluted. Shen Yi Yao gave her a complicated glance before ordering someone to grab Concubine Pei a seat.

Yan Yan's gaze turned sluggish as Concubine Pei beamed.

"Not sure why big sis called for little sis. Is something the matter?"

Concubine Pei looked extremely relatable. She appeared delicate and tender, making anyone who saw her feel for her. Shen Yi Yao's initial indignation faded quite a bit at seeing Concubine Pei, and after offering her a seat out of habit, faded even more. When Concubine Pei spoke, Shen Yi Yao ended up seeming a little at a loss.