Chapter 4

The living room was in chaos. Yan Yan clutched her face as she stared at her mom in disbelief.

Shen Yi Yao's eyes were filled with pain as she sobbed: "Ah Yan, mom is begging you. Go apologize to the old madam."

This was the first time Yan Yan was hit in her life, and it was also her first time being hit by her mom. This was her own mom. Yan Yan was sure she wasn't adopted!

But, but why did she always listen to the words of others instead of her own people?

Did she forget Ah Mo's frail appearance? Didn't she know her son almost died today? Didn't she know if Yan Yan and Lady Hui hadn't arrived quickly that Ah Mo would have died in such a downplayed manner?
At that time, would she still be so biased towards others?

When she was still very young, Yan Yan learned the saying "outward bending elbows". She merely had the thought back then but didn't know how to describe it. Only after she matured did she understand the essence of this saying.

Shen Yi Yao wasn't ruthless and unloving towards her own children. In fact, she loved them very much. But she listened to others too easily, and was too easily led astray. Just like how the old madam came in and put on this performance, all for the sake of distracting her and downplaying the matter. Yet Shen Yi Yao was just so easily convinced by her.
Shen Yi Yao had been married into the Weiyuan Marquis household for twelve years. This amount of time was enough for the old madam to have a grasp on her character and manipulate her in circles without her realizing.

Actually it wasn't just the old madam. The entire Weiyuan Marquis Estate was the same. Yan Yan only realized this recently.

Shen Yi Yao was also very heartbroken after hitting her own daughter.

Ah Yan was still young, but if she already disrespected her elders so at this age, what would happen once she grew older?! Shen Yi Yao was raised in a traditional wealthy household, and was therefore completely unable to accept this.

Shen Yi Yao felt that her own actions were correct. Therefore, despite feeling heartache, she still said: "Ah Yan, hurry and apologize to grandmother! Ah Yan, be obedient...."

The last line was shouted out while crying.

No matter how stubborn Yan Yan was, she was still just a ten year old girl. Her stubbornness was a front she forcibly put on. Her shoulders were still very narrow, her figure was still very small. She was now going against her own mom and grandmother. She had been stimulated far too many times today, and her face had long since been filled with tears but she had gritted her teeth and forced herself not to make a sound.

The phrase "be obedient" penetrated the defensive barriers she had erected around her heart. She remembered how she had fallen ill once when she was younger. Her mom had held and comforted her without sleep or rest. Normally, she always had a gentle smile when she called her "Ah Yan".....

Ah Yan, be obedient!

She really wanted to be obedient, but if she did so, would other frightening events occur?

Today Ah Mo fell into the water and was rescued.
What about next time? Would he be rescued in time?
Yan Yan glanced with reddened eyes at the old madam next to Shen Yi Yao and slowly walked in her direction.

"Grandmother. I apologize to you." Yan Yan's voice was clear, but her fists were clenched under her sleeves.

The old madam revealed a smile and Shen Yi Yao finally felt relieved. Concubine Pei's gaze was obscure and Yan Hong looked pleased with himself as he stuck his tongue out at Yan Yan.....

"Ah Yan, grandmother doesn't blame you. You're still young...." The old madam sat up straight and waved her hand for the maids and grannies to spread out.