Chapter 139

The lateral courtyard the Yun Prince and his consort stayed in was the Yun City Governor Qian Cheng Qi's private property.

The Yun Prince Estate hadn't finished construction prior to the Yun Prince's arrival. They naturally needed a temporary residence. As governor of the Yun Province's capital, Qian Cheng Qi was one of the most important officials within the Yun Province. He had naturally ordered his people to clean up his lateral courtyard properly in preparations for the Yun Prince's stay.

The Yun Province was located in the north and the style of its buildings was different from the south's style of gardens with small bridges and flowing waters. Qian Cheng Qi was a rather elegant person so his courtyard was renovated in a southern style with unique rocks, small bridges, flowing water and winding corridors. Despite being covered in snow, it was hard to cover the graceful style of the waterways.

The largest and most unique pavilion within was the "Chunyu Building". This was where Luo Huai Yuan and Yan Yan were staying. As for the palace maids, eunuchs and guards who had come along with him, they were scattered throughout the courtyard. Luckily it was big enough to accommodate so many people.

To be able to host the Yun Prince was a great honor for the Yun Province's official. Qian Cheng Qi gave the orders to ensure everything was perfect and everything was to the Yun Prince highness's liking.

Luo Huai Yuan and Yan Yan also weren't unreasonable and remained guests instead of acting like the host. They didn't use any of the servants in the courtyard and only used their own from the capital. Even the cook they brought over would be in charge of the cooking. The cook Qian Cheng Qi prepared did show off some of the Yun Province's specialty dishes. Whether the food suited their taste wasn't known for now. Regardless, the Yun Prince and his wife mostly used their own cooks.

Towards this, Qian Cheng Qi was rather dejected. Afterwards, he figured that it was hard to get accustomed to new foods after eating the same flavors for many years. Therefore, it shouldn't be that he didn't prepare well, but rather it was due to their habits.

Actually Qian Cheng Qi shouldn't be blamed for kissing up to them so much. In theory, he was also extremely unfortunate.

The local officials had three-year terms. Those with good results for their entire term usually got promoted by a rank or half a rank, or got relocated as official to a wealthier location. The Yun Province capital's governor was a major fourth-rank official.

Any higher would mean relocation to the Grand Xi's capital. Qian Cheng Qi had been an official for a decade and all he wished was to be located in the nation's seat of power. He had dreams of becoming a first-rank official.

Unexpectedly, a year from when he was to be relocated, his city became designated as a vassal prince's vassal state.

To be designated as a vassal state?

There was nothing worse than that!

Everyone knew the vassal state was the prince's own territory. The officials there could be appointed by him or the Minstry of Appointments. However, the court's system was different from that of the vassal prince's system. The officials in the vassal state happened to be in the most awkward position. They were controlled both by the court and by the vassal prince. If the official wanted to be promoted out of the vassal state, it would require the vassal prince's or the adjutant's office's approval.

Therefore, this was why Qian Cheng Qi kissed up to the Yun Prince so much. He wanted to avoid being unable to relocate and thus put in more effort to get into his good books. It was also to get close to him so the Yun Prince could help give him a push when the time came.

Every time Qian Cheng Qi left his office, he would rush back to the courtyard waiting for the Yun Prince's summons.

However, he had yet to receive anything after waiting several times. Could the Yun Prince have forgotten his host?