Chapter 31

This series of events happened extremely fast. The dust had already settled before it was past noon. The estate was unprecedentedly silent. At least, Yan Yan didn't see anyone running over to their second branch to show off their existence.

It wasn't clear where that doctor went, but he didn't report things to the authorities as he claimed he would. Old Madam Yan seemed to not know about what had happened. When Yan Yan went to pay respects the next day, she didn't bring it up. Seeing Ah Yan, she was as amicable and benevolent as before.

Since the old madam herself pretended nothing had happened, the rest naturally didn't dare bring it up. The Weiyuan Marquis Estate was unprecedentedly peaceful. Even the amount of slacking little lasses had decreased.

As for what Shen Yi Yao thought about it, Yan Yan could no longer be bothered to care. Since she was sure of her own thoughts, she went ahead and carried them out. Why overthink things? They can fuss all they wanted. She just needed to protect Ah Mo properly.

Since her mom thought everything was fine, she can continue believing it.

Regardless, such good days probably wouldn't last long.
.......

Actually it made sense for Yan Mo's body to be frail. He was born frail and Shen Yi Yao had always pampered him.

He only learned to walk when he was three, and rarely walked around. His wet nurse and maids always carried him everywhere. In the winter he wore many layers and in the summer they still didn't dare take them off. Without the ability to resist the cold or heat, it was no wonder he would often get sick. After all, the weather was unpredictable. It could be sunny in the morning and raining in the afternoon.

Furthermore, he had never stopped taking medicine. People in this age didn't realize taking too much medicine would result in drug resistance. They only knew the saying about medicine being three parts poison.

After that imperial physician left, someone sent a letter to Yan Yan in the afternoon. Inside the letter, that imperial physician had listed the potential harmful effects of a frail person being over-nourished, and also provided some suggestions for beneficial foods. He suggested it was better to obtain nourishment through food rather than medicine. Yan Yan immediately regretted not having that doctor dragged out and beaten to death instead of letting him off just like that.

However, Yan Yan also knew that things wouldn't be so simple to investigate thoroughly. Partly because Shen Yi Yao was the one who always remembered to order people daily to brew the medicine. Another reason was because this doctor had been chosen by the old madam out of concern for her grandson. The Weiyuan Marquis seemed to have spent quite some effort to find this "famous doctor."

If they really made a fuss? If they said the grandmother and father were trying to harm their own grandson and son? Without a doubt, things would be pushed onto that doctor, and that doctor would have an easier time explaining that a weak body precisely needed nourishment.

Of course it was fine to nourish, but not excessively. But they could only accuse him of being medically incompetent. But ninety percent of doctors in this world were medically incompetent.

Furthermore, there was Shen Yi Yao present who cherished her son. Could you say the mom tried to harm her own son? As for Shen Yi Yao doing harmful things with good intentions, she could only be called foolish.

This was why Yan Yan didn't try to get to the bottom of things, and merely whipped everyone who deserved it in her anger. She first vented her anger and also gave Concubine Pei a few strokes. This was both a warning and a sort of deterrence. It also bought her some time to make some preparations.
Yan Yan knew that her dad would soon return. There were more battles to be fought in the coming days.