Chapter 54

Recently, a very novel food popped up all over the capital.

A small cart, a rectangular metal box that was empty in the middle filled with red burning coal, neatly dressed peddlers of various ages, and densely packed meat skewers sitting on top of the metal box. All this made up the appearance of the "come back if good secret recipe meat skewers" storefront.

They were located in the bustling markets or on busy streets. Anywhere a small stand could be placed, a "come back if good secret recipe meat skewers" stand would be present. It was as though they had appeared within the capital overnight.

At first, people weren't willing to eat these weird things.

But they couldn't withstand the smell. It was truly fragrant and permeated the entire place. The entire street was filled with the seductive and alluring fragrance. People thus followed the smell over....

The peddler's attitude was extremely warm and magnanimous. He announced to the crowd that this was their grand opening, and they could try a skewer for free. This would be limited to fifty people, and they needed to line up.

A free sample was something very rarely seen. It goes without saying that there was a long line.
That peddler's actions were calm and steady. He handed out skewers to those in line while placing more skewers onto the grill.

The meat sizzled over the grill. The peddler sprinkled a handful of yellow powder onto them. A wave of thick smoke rose up and the smell on the street turned even denser.

After the meat was cooked, the color was golden brown with some slightly burnt edges. The smell assailed the nostrils and the taste was profound.
The first few who sampled it took a careful bite before quickly tearing the rest of the meat off the skewer. Their actions were hurried and their manner of eating extremely crude.

It was clear that this thing was truly delicious.
Those who had a free sample wiped their mouths with their sleeves and crowded up, asking loudly how much this thing cost.

The peddler smiled slightly, and took a moment to point out the "sign" hanging from small cart. That sign had eight large black words: "come back if good secret recipe meat skewers".

Next to it were a row of smaller words: "Verify it's good and come again. Come again if it's delicious." On the very bottom, written horizontally, were a few even smaller words: "Three coins for a skewer, ten for four skewers."

Three coins was a little expensive. After all, there were only three small pieces of meat on the skewer. Put together, it was only enough to taste the flavor.

However, it couldn't erase the fact that it was delicious!

Although life in the capital wasn't easy, the people here had more money than those in other places.
The free samples had all been handed out. Those in line didn't say anything else, and all purchased a few skewers to try on the side. After trying it, they all exclaimed loudly how delicious it was, and then one wanted twenty coin's worth and another wanted ten coin's worth. Thus they all started buying.

The peddler was calm and continued taking care of the customers. As his hands moved, he asked them whether they wanted some spiciness. For those who wanted it, he would sprinkle some red powder. For those who didn't, they would just get the yellow seasoning.

Those who hadn't tried these sorts of skewers didn't understand that one would want to eat more the more one ate. In the modern world, these skewers were sold twenty at a time, and were merely considered snacks. Therefore, there were many customers who got back in line after eating.

Some passersby saw the liveliness and couldn't help but join in. Some people in line were cut by others and started scolding. They said all the buyers were lining up. Therefore, everyone still reluctantly stood in line, and it wasn't too chaotic.