Chapter 49

Xue-shi had always been pragmatic and never opposed Concubine Pei on the surface.

This time her sore spot was stabbed. She herself could endure humiliation, but she wouldn't allow her Ru'er to suffer the same. Especially since with the way Yan Qian's words were phrased, their eldest branch would have a harder time in the future if she endured it this time. People would trample over them until they died.

She had to let others know they would lose a piece of flesh if they provoked her.

Xue-shi smiled insincerely at Concubine Pei, watching to see how she would get out of this.

Concubine Pei's body was extremely rigid. She lowered her head and wiped her tears, seeming extremely wronged: "Old madam, this is truly a false accusation. No matter how daring I am, I wouldn't dare stuff my own pockets. The eldest madam truly wronged this one. The second miss has always been frail, and this one cherishes her. Therefore, I let her eat a bowl every day. Now that the estate is cutting costs, there naturally wouldn't be any swallow's nest. The second miss's swallow's nests are paid for with this one's own silver."

"You're only worried about that Qian lass? What about Hong'er? Hong'er is currently in his growth phase!"

As expected of Concubine Pei. She truly understood the old madam, whose attention was successfully diverted to whether Concubine Pei also got her obedient grandson nourishment with her own funds.
Concubine Pei relaxed and said while sobbing. "The third young master naturally gets it as well. They are both currently growing. Even if this one has to suffer, I wouldn't let the second miss and third young master suffer."

Although her counter was unorthodox, it was extremely effective. First she complained about being wronged before showing that she was clean and noble.

Look, do you see? As someone with a lowly status, I still know to use my own funds to buy the children nourishment. What are the rest of the moms doing? You're even madams, yet only know to make a fuss with the old madam!

These words weren't directly spoken but everyone understood the implication.

Chen-shi's expression was a little unwell and Xue-shi cursed Concubine Pei secretly for being truly hard to deal with.

Everyone understood it was impossible for Concubine Pei to truly have used her own funds for those nourishments. As the manager of the household, just a casual rounding error was enough to make a living. But where was the proof? If there was no proof, they could only listen as she spoke nonsense without being able to refute it.

Xue-shi was a little anxious. Although this matter seemed to have been raised by her and Chen-shi together, a simple investigation would make it clear she was the one who instigated it. If they weren't able to trample Concubine Pei today with such a good opportunity, based on her character she would definitely take revenge in the future.

Suddenly, a soft and immature voice sounded out. "Big sis, it turns out that swallow's nest costs money to buy? Then since Ah Mo eats swallow's nest every day, didn't I eat a lot of money?!"

"That's right. It costs silver to buy things. There wouldn't be food without silver."

Everyone's gaze shifted onto the brother and sister pair who had been sitting there as though invisible. There question and answer session seemed to be serious, as though no one else was around. Especially Yan Mo's question, which was extremely laughable. It naturally cost silver to buy things. Were they trying to make fools of themselves?

It was truly a sin for such a proper true-blooded young master to have been raised this way! This was what Xue-shi and Chen-shi were thinking.

This Yan Mo was truly stupid. A stupid son raised by a stupid mom! This was what the old madam was thinking.