Chapter 33

Apart from Luo Huai Yuan being pleased with this trip to the Zhenguo Duke Estate, Yan Mo's mood was extremely good as well.

He had grown up with maids and grannies. When his big sis played with him, they would merely chat or play around with toys. This was his first time playing with boys, although he merely watched. He watched as cousin Shen Qi ran to and fro, and climbed up and down.

Seeing her little brother's happiness, Yan Yan's mood was also pretty good. She decided she would bring him over to play more often. Boys got along better with other boys. Thinking this way, she no longer felt it would difficult to go with Shen Qi to play with Luo Huai Yuan. Although it wasn't very convenient for her to leave the estate, there would definitely be a way.

After returning home, Yan Mo was still very happy and excited. The usually bashful and timid Yan Mo grabbed Matron Qin for the first time, excitedly telling her how impressive his cousin was, and how he helped him catch birds and play with eggs. His little face was red from excitement.

The room was filled with laughter. Shen Yi Yao stood outside in the hallway.

She intended to check up on her son, afraid he wouldn't be used to going outside. Unexpectedly, he was doing much better than she expected. She shook her head at the maid who was about to announce her arrival before silently leaving. Her emotions were incomparably complex.

***

Everything seemed to have changed, yet also nothing.

Once Yan Mo's health became better, Yan Yan took him to pay respects to the old madam every day. Of course, she also went to Shen Yi Yao's place. It's just Yan Yan didn't really have anything to say to her nowadays. Even when the two spoke, they merely spoke briefly about Yan Mo.

Because Yan Mo started showing up frequently, Yan Hong started getting snubbed at the Rongan Hall. This Yan Hong was used to things going his way, and had always been spoiled by the old madam. In the past Yan Mo's health wasn't good and would at most appear once a month in the Rongan Hall. Everyone naturally gave him attention. Now that Yan Yan brought Yan Mo to pay respects every day, Yan Hong had to take a backseat.

Yan Hong was still young after all, and even if he had more thoughts than other children, a child was still a child. He had made a fuss in private countless times and Concubine Pei had spoken with him quite a lot. Even Old Madam Yan had comforted him before. But a child wouldn't be a child if he could control his temper.

On this day, everyone in the hall was talking about how the fourth young master was this and that. Grandmother was also holding Yan Mo, her face full of affection. Yan Hong couldn't endure any longer and rushed forward, pulling at him with all his strength.

"Get down here, that's my seat. Scram down here for me."

Yan Hong's actions were too unexpected. Concubine Pei froze for a second before stepping forward and pulling him into her arms. Yan Hong was already over seven years old, and was built sturdily. Once he started struggling, Concubine Pei wasn't able to hold onto him. He struggled with all his might as he yelled: "Grandmother, you clearly don't like him. You like Hong'er the most. Why are you hugging him and not Hong'er?"

Everyone's faces turned rigid. Yan Yan laughed instead. It was just for a moment where she sneered coldly without speaking.

Concubine Pei covered his mouth and scolded: "This child has really been spoiled, speaking all sorts of nonsense. How could the old madam not like the fourth young master? The old madam likes all of her grandchildren."

Old Madam Yan nodded and said with a smile: "That's right, Hong'er. Grandmother likes all her grandchildren. You can't lose your temper just because grandmother cherishes Ah Mo a little more. Your younger brother's body is frail, are you still going to struggle with him?"