Chapter 98

Emperor Xi and Empress Xiao went into the empress's tent. Senior Concubine Xu could only turn back to her own place.

Before long, the second prince arrived.

Senior Concubine Xu had yet to take off her hairpin as she paced restlessly back and forth.

"You were too impetuous, child. Didn't you realize your royal father wasn't willing for you to marry the Zhenguo Duke's granddaughter? This was just a probe to begin with. It would have been great if he agreed, but it's no big deal if he didn't. Why did you speak up once again? Not only did you lose face, you also angered your royal father."

The second prince stood unspeaking with a sinister expression.

He also didn't know what he was thinking back then. He had been heated and thus spoke up once again. Thinking of that willfull girl, his eyes darkened.

Senior Concubine Xu knew her son had always been proud. For the sake of this matter, he had been embarrassed several times, and was definitely not feeling well. She said comfortingly: "Forget it, it's also good that this happened. This seat was also muddled for not having investigated the Yan household's miss before agreeing. Looks like that Zhenguo Duke's granddaughter is truly a weird one. Such a girl naturally isn't worthy of my son. It's better to let someone else have her. Let that timid coward of a fourth prince enjoy this sort of girl. It's just too bad we couldn't get the Zhenguo Duke on our side."

Wasn't this the case?

They had planned it well. The mother and son also understood the Zhenguo Duke's attitude, which was why they chose such an occasion to speak up. They offered the Yan household's miss an enormous opportunity while limiting Emperor Xi and the Zhenguo Duke's options in front of the crowd. Unfortunately, things ended up this way.

It seemed that anything involving the Zhenguo Duke Estate would have many twists and turns.
Thinking of the previous matter with the crown prince, Senior Concubine Xu's expression turned even uglier.

"You've angered your royal father today. Lay low for a few days."

With a sunken expression, the second prince spoke about his brother's fight with Yan Yan earlier. Senior Concubine Xu's willow brows furrowed tighter. "Really, that Qi'er. Isn't this adding fuel to the flames? Keep an eye on him in the coming days. Don't let him cause any more problems."

Mother and son discussed a little longer before the second prince left.

~~~~~~~~

"You were implicated by your grandfather in today's matter."

After they walked to a secluded location, the Zhenguo Duke stopped and looked at Yan Yan with a complicated gaze.

If it weren't for the Zhenguo Duke Estate not wanting to get involved in the princes' struggles, a young miss like Yan Yan wouldn't have to denigrate herself in front of everyone.

The Zhenguo Duke Estate's people truly didn't marry into the royal family. This had been their way of doing things all along and his majesty understood their tactfulness. They wouldn't interfere with things. But the matter today was too abrupt. No one expected the second prince to propose during such an occasion. Not only was it hard for Emperor Xi to avoid, it was the same for the Zhenguo Duke.

Luckily things had worked out. Although the fourth prince had appeared after the second prince was refused, at least the fourth prince knew his place. He didn't come with any strings attached.

"Grandfather shouldn't say this. Ah Yan is mom's daughter, and also your granddaughter. Grandfather, grandmother, aunt, uncle and cousin all cherished me since I was young. I've enjoyed the benefits of the Zhenguo Duke Estate, so I naturally have to prioritize it."