Chapter 100

Yan Ting felt relieved at seeing his plot succeed. Xu Xiang Rong didn't seem like he was planning to press further.

The autumn night was a little cold and some servants brought two charcoal basins over to the corners of the tent. They cleared up the table and put out a new round of food and alcohol.

"Come, accompany this heir in a round of drinks."
Xu Xiang Rong beckoned with a smile.

Xu Xiang Rong was a little strange, seeming very happy. Senior Concubine Xu's faction had suffered a huge loss of face and they had all remained low-key these days. What was worth him being happy about?
Yan Ting was puzzled, but straightforwardly grabbed a cup and poured some alcohol for himself and Xu Xiang Rong. The two toasted and drank.

After three rounds, Yan Ting wasn't as reserved anymore. He returned to his usual casual self. Xu Xiang Rong leaned against the couch. It was covered in wolf pelt and there was a pillow, making it also suitable for leaning.

"Heir seems to be very happy?"

Xu Xiang Rong chuckled and downed a cup. "Somewhat, somewhat. The second prince's marriage has been arranged. It's the Chengguo Duke's daughter."

So quickly?

Yan Ting felt an assortment of emotions. He was a little startled at their speed, and also bitter at his unfilial daughter for ruining things.

"His majesty still cherishes the senior concubine and the second prince, and said the second prince suffered a grievance that day. Therefore, he betrothed the Chengguo Duke's daughter to him."

Actually, Senior Concubine Xu's side had first set their eyes on the Chengguo Duke's daughter. It was Yan Ting who popped out and recommended Yan Yan. In comparison, the Zhenguo Duke was more attractive despite Yan Yan just being his granddaughter. Unexpectedly, they still failed despite having put in a lot of effort. Now that the second prince's marriage was a pressing matter, they could only go with their original plan. During this time, Senior Concubine Xu had cursed Yan Yan for not appreciating the favor several times.

Emperor Xi seemed to really be unable to do anything about this woman.

Senior Concubine Xu could be called beautiful. Otherwise she would have been a mere palace maid. However, compared to the other concubines, she wasn't that outstanding. She could at most be called above average.

But such a Senior Concubine Xu was able to occupy Emperor Xi's favor for over a decade. She was already over thirty, but his favor has yet to fade.

The women in the palace were good at fighting for favor. They naturally studied this tiger in makeup in depth. They concluded that Senior Concubine Xu was good at several things: First of all, she knew how to cry, and looked beautiful while doing so, evoking people's pity. Even her rival Empress Xiao would involuntarily soften when seeing her pitiful appearance.

Secondly, she lowered herself. Despite having dominated the six palaces for over a decade and inspiring fear in others, she was never rude or unreasonable. She was rather kind and considerate, attracting countless compliements.

Thirdly, she was good at acting, and was also ruthless enough to herself. For example, that night after Emperor Xi returned with Empress Xiao to her tent, Senior Concubine Xu went to Empress Xiao's tent bright and early in the morning. She waited pitifully and remorsefully outside. The autumn morning was chilly and filled with dew. Her clothing soon became wet. Senior Concubine Xu was a favored concubine and people naturally didn't dare to ignore her. They could only report it inside.

Empress Xiao gritted her teeth so hard they almost cracked.

Therefore, in a place like the rear palace, you either had to look outstanding enough, or have your own style. If you happened to catch his majesty's eye, then congratulations. You'd be the second coming of Senior Concubine Xu!