Chapter 86.2

"Old second daughter-in-law, I'm not speaking with Yan Yan. What do you say about it? Lass Qian isn't young anymore. Although she is concubine born, she still calls you principal mother. Don't you have to worry about her marriage? Also the sixth and seventh lasses are your nieces. It shouldn't be too much to take your nieces out and help them discuss marriage, right?"

This was completely using morals to pressure someone beyond their comfort zone. If Shen Yi Yao dared to say no, the old madam had countless more morals and ethics to throw out.

The morals were correct, but the point was that it depended on the situation. Even without mentioning what Concubine Pei had done, Yan Qian had never treated Shen Yi Yao as her mother. It wasn't an exaggeration to say she had a grudge against her. Only someone with brain damage would help their enemies find a good marriage.

Then there was the sixth and seventh misses. Apart from putting on a good front, the third branch never cared about anything except themselves. They didn't even give Shen Yi Yao an extra smile. Now they wanted to rely on her to discuss marriage? Where was there such a good thing under the heavens?!
Yan Yan still wanted to sepak but was lightly held back by Shen Yi Yao.

"Mom, you're overestimating your daughter-in-law. I don't have the ability to discuss marriage for others. The capital has many official and private matchmakers who should be doing this. As for the eldest and fourth misses, I'm only bringing them because they get along well with Ah Yan. Ah Yan and the Yiyong Marquis Estate's eldest daughter Shu Yi were playmates as children."

Shen Yi Yao's voice was still very calm and unhurried, but her tone was unusually firm.

She was deliberately misinterpreting the old madam's words. She wasn't a matchmaker, and discussing marriage was something a matchmaker should be doing. She wasn't planning on being responsible for everyone's marriage. Additionally, she treated this time's outing as a playdate for the misses.

After she spoke, most of the people's faces fell. The old madam's expression was gloomy and Chen-shi's expression was very rigid. Resentment flashed in her eyes for a moment. Concubine Wu and Yan Qian naturally were the same way.

There wasn't anything wrong with Shen Yi Yao's words. It was truly the case. What noblewoman would act as everyone's matchmaker? Wouldn't that be lowering her own value? They would at most probe things out with a few conversations and come to a mutual understanding. If the other side had similar thoughts, then things would naturally proceed.

Of course the old madam wasn't that easy to deal with. Actually everyone knew this trip wasn't for the sake of seeing old friends. It was to take these misses to socialize, and prepare them for marriage.

But the old madam didn't understand when Shen Yi Yao became so hard to deal with. Shouldn't she be going along with whatever she said?! Also, what's the big deal about bringing a few more misses along!?

The old madam had never been willing to consider other people's feelings or troubles. If anything happened because of it, she would naturally blame the person who took them out.

After all, they were going to someone else's estate.

There would be many people and many pairs of eyes. Their mom couldn't follow them around and they could at most bring a couple of maids. It wasn't like they could show up with a grand procession. If any accidents, quarrels or lack of etiquette occurred, they would become laughing stocks. This was everything Shen Yi Yao had to consider, and no one wanted to be responsible for this!

"Since Ah Yan can bring the eldest and fourth lasses, why can't she bring the sixth and seventh lasses too? Since children like playing together, isn't it more lively to have more people!? Enough, it's just a playdate so it's not a big deal. Bring them since I'm telling you to!" The old madam made the decision final.