Chapter 65

Luo Huai Yuan spent New Year's by himself.
Actually he wasn't by himself. There was Xiao An Zi to keep him company.

The palace didn't show any signs of inviting him back so he acted as if it wasn't going to happen. Even if he were invited, he would still end up spending it by himself. At most he would have his mom by his side. Ever since he disgraced himself at a palace banquet when he was seven, the fourth prince lost the right to participate in any future celebrations.

Luo Huai Yuan hadn't been in contact with his mom since moving out. A low-ranked eunuch came from the palace on the twenty-eighth and handed Luo Huai Yuan a package. Luo Huai Yuan opened it and found a piece of clothing, some jewelry and a few silver ingots.

This low-ranked eunuch served Concubine Ma and was called Xiao Dou Zi. He said Concubine Ma asked him to pass on a message. She wanted to let him know she was doing very well in the palace and that the fourth prince didn't have to worry. She also said the outside wasn't like the inside, and was afraid the fourth prince couldn't get enough silver. She sent him her extra jewelry and said he should cut them up and exchange them for silver if he was out of options.

His mom had always been cautious. She never took the initiative to contact him normally. This time she was probably truly afraid her son was suffering outside the palace, and used the New Year's celebration as an excuse to have this eunuch come by.

Luo Huai Yuan didn't say anything before taking the package back to his room. When he came out again, he handed Xiao Dou Zi a bundle. The jewelry and silver were all inside, and there was an additional set of women's clothing. The clothes were brand new, and while the material wasn't amazing, it wasn't bad either. It was suitable for Concubine Ma's status, and could be worn casually at home.

Before Xiao Dou Zi left, Luo Huai Yuan told him to tell his mom he wasn't sure of the exact sizes. If the skirt was too short, she should uncurl the hems.
Luo Huai Yuan had someone prepare that skirt a while ago, and the hems of the skirt was stuffed with a few silver notes. Each note wasn't worth a lot, and there were a total of a thousand taels.

On New Year's Eve, Luo Huai Yuan put on the new clothes Concubine Ma made for him. Unexpectedly, he realized they didn't fit. During the time he spent outside the palace, he had gotten fatter and his mom didn't realize this.

In the afternoon, Luo Huai Yuan ordered General Manager Xi to have the kitchen prepare a banquet for everyone. The servants, palace maids and guards gathered together in various places for the liveliness while he and Xiao An Zi ate by themselves in the room.

The banquet was very sumptuous, especially Luo Huai Yuan's table which was extremely extravagant. He also forced Xiao An Zi to drink a few glasses of alcohol with him. Good alcohol paired with delicacies, refreshing!

He had always spent New Year's by himself. Luo Huai Yuan didn't know the meaning of loneliness.
......

It was convention for married women to return to their maternal family on the second day of the New Year. Shen Yi Yao had therefore gotten ready bright and early. Even though she had been stonewalled by her parents every time she went back, they couldn't refuse to see her for New Year's, right?

Because she had such thoughts, Shen Yi Yao's expression had a few hints of happiness.

Yan Yan and Ah Mo were supposed to go to the Zhenguo Duke Estate as well. Unexpectedly, Yan Mo caught a cold on the first day of the year and wasn't feeling too well. Shen Yi Yao had to go so Yan Yan volunteered to take care of her brother at home. Therefore, the siblings didn't go.

Yan Yan had the feeling her brother's "discomfort" was a little fake. As expected, he "got better" after Shen Yi Yao left.

"You don't want to go to grandfather's place?"